XXXI. A Lord's Guide to Courtship

Dearest Lady Weis,

I found someone hurt and nearly dying on the side of the road while I was returning from a night at Grey's.

It does feel good to help someone, especially if you have been wasting money in a place such as Grey's, doing naught but gambling and drinking. All the while someone suffers while we have a merry time. I intend to help this person through.

But being an aide takes more responsibility than I have ever imagined. I simply hope that I can do my best to protect this person's honour—or what is left of it.

Yours,

William

*****

Ysabella let out a dramatic sigh. "I had a fight with Aurora. A small misunderstanding between friends. You would not wish to know about it, Ralph, truly you would not." Under the table Ysabella was crossing her fingers, hoping her brother would take her word and leave the matter to rest.

Ralph looked doubtful. "It better not be because of a man, Ysabella. If I find that you have been crying over Wakefield, I would make certain that you do not see the man ever again. You have been making a fool of yourself because of that rake."

Ysabella could see Emma trying to act nonchalant from one corner of her eye.

She did not say anything, simply scoffed.

"He does not return your fanciful feelings, sister. Trust me, I know for I am friends with the man. I see him as a good friend, but never as a good brother-in-law. Turn your attention on someone worthy."

She let out a small chuckle to lighten the mood. "And you have someone in mind?"

Ralph blinked. "Well, Samuel of course!"

Emma and Ysabella let out a loud laugh. Samuel chocked in his own breath.

"Why? What is wrong with my friend?"

"I would never marry him!" Ysabella uttered. "And if you so desire to make your best friend a part of the family, push him toward Emma!"

Emma blanched in horror. "I don't intend to marry ever." She shook her head. "Could we not talk about Samuel marrying either Ysabella or I? Sorry to say this, Samuel as you know I do consider you a friend, but this topic does make one lose her appetite."

Ralph merely chuckled while Samuel coughed for breath. But when their brother faced Ysabella again, his eyes were serious. "Keep in mind what I said, Ysa."

Ysabella swallowed and nodded. "Fret not, brother. I am no longer a child."

"But you are my sister," he countered before he straightened in his chair. "Now, what say you to breakfast? My God, Samuel, don't look so horrified! I was merely jesting earlier. I would never dare marry you off to any of my sisters. That would simply be unimaginable. Dare not make the wrong assumptions, my friend. These two," he said, pointing at Ysabella and Emma, "are not to be touched by any of my friends. None."

Samuel let out a nervous chuckle. Ysabella hid a smile by biting her lips.

The poor bastard would have to face a great challenge if the time came that he would decide to pursue his feelings for Emma.

A great challenge indeed.

*****

Before Ralph and Samuel could leave for their respective estates, a new batch of family callers came. The sudden arrival of Margaret and Cole and their children gave everything the two men had planned for that morning a pause, which was to sleep.