VI. A Seemingly Friendly Advice

Dearest Lady Weis,

I have to admit that I am not close to my brother. He and my late father have been naught but focused on my failures rather than my achievements. You might call it childish, but I have always considered my relationship with Thomas a competition rather than anything else.

Speaking of competition, I must say I do excel in sports. Have I ever written about how Thomas once fell off his horse when he was twenty? I'd wager you could master a horse better than he. He fell on a pile of dung, if you must know. The smell stayed in his character to this day.

Even though you do say very little detail about your family, I can safely assume you have a good relationship with them. You would not sound vibrant and full of life if it is not the case.

My Cook is good, yes. She does make the best pies. I wonder why you asked. Are you hungry while writing your last letter? You must know I have a smile on my face at the memory of such an unexpected question.

I shall be traveling to Wakefield by the morrow. I hope to return in Wickhurst and find your reply waiting for me.

Yours,

William

*****

Had he known that his brother Thomas, the Lord of Bertram would grace the Theobald party with his ever magnificent presence, Wakefield would have stayed in Wickhurst.

And he knew full well why his brother, merely one year older, made a surprise appearance. The recent harvest of the Wakefield estate had not been good. In fact, it was a poor year for the estate.

Thomas' presence simply meant his conceited brother was here to gloat on Wakefield's failures and in more ways than one, make a statement that would equate to, "I told you so." For it was true. He had told Wakefield, in a disguise of an advice, that planting his crops too early for the season would yield the best results. As it was his custom to not listen or take advice from his brother, Wakefield planted his crops at the exact moment he planned it.

Then the flood came through the holes and ruined almost the entire plantation just before the harvest season.

While Bertram and other plantations had already harvested theirs, Wakefield was amongst those who had very little to get with such great losses.

So when his mother announced during breakfast that Thomas was merely hours away from Theobald, Wakefield stood to his feet, excused himself and packed his bags to return to Wickhurst.

His mother, ever aware of his sons' relationship, did not make attempts to stop him or delay his departure. Assuring the woman that Thomas would bring her back to Wickhurst himself, he left for Wickhurst.

Which was better for everyone, he thought. He did not have to suffer two more ball nights with the chits and Ysabella Everard clamouring for his attention. His mother was in good health, being surrounded by friends. He, on the other hand, was missing a tumble in the bed with one of his lovers in Wickhurst. Some of his friends were probably enjoying nights at Grey's and he'd merely be happy to join them.

And there was a matter with Lady Weis, whom he believed might have already sent a reply to his previous letter. Coming home to Wickhurst was indeed the best decision.

*****

It was a great disappointed to hear the news that Lord Wakefield had decided to skip the rest of the weekend party, but the moment Ysabella learned of Thomas Hayward's arrival that same morning, she could very well understand why.

In fact, if she was not in want of his presence, she would have been the first to push Wakefield to go back to Wickhurst. Knowing how Wakefield felt toward his brother, she could not blame him for the escape.