XXVIII. Welcome to Wicked Wickhurst!

Dearest Lady Weis,

I do keep lovers to fill my lonely nights. Not merely to warm my bed, but to accompany me when I do not find amusement at Grey's.

Most of them would allow me to talk and tolerate my tales, even laugh at some of them. But I know that their hearts are not fully in place, as is mine.

As days go by, I find myself longing for something else entirely, something quite real. I could not quite fathom it at the moment.

Yours,

William

*****

"When you said we shall talk, you meant we shall talk, yes?" Ysabella asked before they climbed into the carriage.

Wakefield nodded.

"Talk with me saying things while you listen, and you saying things while I listen," she further clarified.

The corner of his lips quirked into a smile, clearly amused. "Yes."

Ysabella sighed and nodded. "Very well, then, I do hope you shall have the patience to listen." He opened the door to the carriage and she pointedly added, "And answer my questions."

Panic crossed his features for a moment before he said, "Yes, Ysabella."

She frowned at him. Something had definitely changed. He was no longer pushing her away, last night being the evidence, of course.

And remembering that night again, she turned to climb into the carriage to hide the flush in her face.

Ysabella willed herself to stay still, feeling quite restless inside as Wakefield talked with the driver and the footmen. When he followed her inside to sit across from her, she swallowed, squared her shoulders and forced her eyes to meet his blue ones.

"Please do not say we shall have to wed because of last night," she blurted out before he could open his mouth to start talking.

The surprise in his eyes was evident and she would have laughed if the carriage did not lurch to a start and she had to hold on to her seat to keep herself steady.

"As I have said, we do not have to marry since I have not compromised you yet," she added once the carriage found its bearing.

His face morphed with an incredulous look at her words. She held her breath as he stared at her for a very long time before speaking. "Do you realize what your brothers would do should they find out about last night?" he asked.

"They would throw up at the knowledge of last night before they hang you for the same thing."

"They are your brothers—"

"They do not have to know," she said with a shrug.

"They would suspect something the moment they find out that we returned to Wickhurst together, alone and without my mother," was his quick response. "Have you told them about your travel arrangements back to Wickhurst?"

Her eyes wavered and she blinked. "No."

"That is why," he said, leaning his arms on his knees to look at her closely, "we should do this properly."

"What do you mean by doing this properly?" she asked and when he found it hard to answer, her eyes widened. Could he be thinking about what she thought he was thinking? "Do you truly mean to marry me?" He opened his mouth to say yes and she knew he was about to say yes, but she could not hear it now. "Why?" she asked before his answer was spoken.