XI. Meeting Cinderella

Dearest William,

I've loved him since the moment we exchanged words. I fear, however, that he does not know the extent of it.

In reply to your inquiry, I do not wish to reveal my true self for I do not wish to be judged by you. I am afraid that you, too, will not find me to your liking should you know my secrets.

I had a walk in the park today. An orange leaf fell through the hole from aboveground. I kept it for it is a part of a world I may never get the chance to see. It sounds wonderful and tragic at the same time, is it not? Up there is a world so within our reach, yet it seems farther than a lifetime.

Your friend,

Lady Weis

*****

The Cinderella ball was probably one of the wisest and sensible occasions that Wickhurst had managed to come up with in Ysabella's opinion, for it was merely about them, men and women in the highest rank of society. It was about those far below who were never given far more choices than they deserved.

In the said ball, service people could come and join the upper class for one night of festivities. Everyone was equal.

Some gentries, of course, were too proud to come as they believe that associating with servants would give way for such people to demand for more. But for those who did not care like the Everards themselves, the ball was a chance for those underprivileged to leave their posts and be someone they wished to be. Some of them lived for that one night. Some dreamed for days until the Cinderella ball and they were not the ones to deprive these people of that.

Ysabella came with the entire family, save for Levi and his family who had already gone back to Standbury and their brother Benedict and his wife who were still in Devonshire—everyone else who were in Wickhurst had to come as ordered by their mother.

Their maids, those who wished to come, were dressed in gowns and jewels, their masks in place. Their footmen and even Jefferson, did try their best in dark suits, masks also necessary. The moment they all entered one of the grandest balls of the year, they were stripped of their titles.

"Will you go and see him?" Aurora whispered beside her.

"I am not certain I am ready," she whispered back.

Emma and Ralph were standing close by and she hated that her sister did not know what she was planning to do.

"If you decide to meet him," Aurora said, leaning closer, "will you confess?"

"I am not utterly certain of that as well," she admitted.

Aurora turned her head, her white mask glinting under the light. "Is that why you chose a mask that is almost covering your entire face?"

Ysabella cleared her throat. Emma was looking at her and Aurora. "Yes," she uttered, her hand absently arranging the mask over her face. It was white like Aurora and Emma's but she had personally designed it with sapphire stones. Emma chose topaz for hers.

They were not a family who mined precious gems and make jewelleries for others for nothing if they could not wear them with pride.

"If you are afraid that he might recognize you, you must not fear. Nearly everyone is wearing white masks."

"Unless someone intends to dance, I do not see how I can enjoy this evening," Nicholas droned behind them.

"You can ask Aurora to dance," Emma suggested with a slight grin.

"Yes, brother, ask Aurora to dance," Ralph joined in, tilting his black mask over his forehead so Nicholas could see the playful look in his eyes.

"Marvellous idea," their mother said with a clap of her hands. "Someone might take notice of dear Aurora if you do it, son," she added, pushing Nicholas in Aurora's direction.