Chapter Five: Blurred Lines

I tossed all the marks I made into my knapsack. I didn't particularly care about them. I usually gave most of them away. I kept a few back to pay for my bills and groceries but I tended to give them away. I didn't need them. We bartered on the mountains so marks weren't of any use. Growing up in a world that didn't use numbers to get the things we needed meant I had little patience for it.

I closed the stall up carefully. It had been a decent day. I needed to restock on several things and I already knew which new things to bring out to the stall. I padlocked it once more before I reached down as patted Smoky's head. He leaned against me as he went up on two legs. "Have a good night, care-bear." I leaned my head against his wide chest and he snuffled my hair, a rumble escaped his chest as he rested his large chin on top of my head. "I love you, buddy." I inhaled his sawdust and ember scent. It was just as comforting as the thoughts of home.

I patted his wide back as he lifted his head before snuffling my face, licking my cheek affectionately. I rubbed his snout and let my hand drop as he slowly moved away from me to go to his den he had behind my stall. I slowly walked towards the mouth of the alleyway, the light from the mirrors I had hung in the streets was slowly fading as the sun set. I blinked against the last blinding light of the sun.

I was suddenly shoved hard against the wall, a heavy hand clamped over my mouth, cutting off my cry of surprise. I scowled at the broad face that entered my vision. He stunk of alcohol and of blood. I wanted to give a groan of frustration. Just what I needed, a drunken asshole being stupid with his life. My switchblade was digging into my ass, reminding me I wasn't as helpless as I looked. I quickly reached around but I had a heavy hand grab my wrist, halting the movement.

"Fucking mongrel bitch." The fetid breath washed over me and I wanted to wrinkle my nose at the stench that rolled off of the male holding me. Hie face pressed into my neck and I made a sound of disgust against his hand as he inhaled. "You fucking stink. Your impurity is foul." I rolled my eyes. He was a fine one to fucking talk, his stench made my eyes water. I attempted to knee him in the side and he blocked it with his elbow before he squeezed my jaw with his large hand.

"I should break you right now. Fuck you raw and have you die choking on my cock." His chest rumbled and I wanted to snicker. Well there was a choking warning on small objects. His hand grasped my breast hard and my amusement turned to anger within half a second. "You have a nice handful here. I'm going to love making you beg at my feet." His hand squeezed my flesh painfully and I breathed hard through my nose. Anger choked me, flushing my cheeks as his hand moved down to cup me between the legs.

I felt my limbs shaking with the sheer need to hurt him, to kill him. I had promised myself that I would never be used like this again. I had breathed every day with the promise I would no longer be a toy, a doll for someone to play with. His grip on my jaw loosened as he pressed his face back into my neck as his tongue swiped at my skin. I shuddered in disgust, the anger burning even more brightly.

I jerked my jaw away from his hand. "Smoky!" The name came out growled and the hand clamped down on my mouth once more but it was too late. I struggled against him violently and he removed his hand from between my legs with a growl.

"I'll teach you a lesson, you little bitch!" A heavy hand slapped the side of my face, rattling my brain slightly but the percussive growls that filled the air made me smile. There was a heavy roar that vibrated the air and the male holding me froze. I managed to kick him off me right as Smoky emerged from the shadows. He looked beastly and vicious as he charged, one large arm swiping out and throwing the male from the alleyway. I pushed off of the wall, wiping his foul, burning saliva off of my neck as I did so. My hand fell to my back pocket, retrieving the blade my pa had given me.