Chapter Nineteen: Part Two: The Feeling of Goodbye

"I-I think I should go..." He went to turn around as his voice faded and I grabbed him by his shirt, yanking him close. I could smell his fear, it sunk into my nose and made me shudder with delight.

"You should stay. Have a drink. Hang out with friends." I turned and shoved him towards the interior of the bar. He tripped over one of his dead comrades and sprawled out on the floor.

My grin faded as I looked at him before gesturing to the dead and dying. "This is a message and a very important lesson. If you live through this, live by my words." He tried to scramble to his feet, slipping on blood and bits of organs and flesh as he did so.

"What are you talking about?" His voice was pitched with a heavy fear as the whites of his eyes were nearly completely showing as I lifted the matchbook.

"You hurt my female." I struck the book, letting the sulphur of the reaction mix in with the scent of blood, piss, and fear. "You burn." I lazily tossed the matchbook towards him. The alcohol ignited in a heavy whoosh and the male gave a piercing scream as it raced across the floor before climbing up his pants. I grinned as the rest of those still living started screaming. The heat of the fire shoved at me, sending me out the door and into the cooler night. I liked the sounds of their screams, I liked the satisfaction it gave me.

I left the door open as I climbed up the stairs. There was one of my ugly monkeys waiting by the back door ofbthe SUV, a bag in his hand. He was staring straight ahead and I tilted my head as I looked at him. "Friends of yours?" I wanted to kill more, I wanted him to say one thing, just one singe thing that would give me a reason to toss him into the bar with the rest.

He glanced at me, shifting on his feet before a blank expression masked his face. "Nope."

"Are you sure?" I grinned at him, I wanted just one fucking reason for his death, Just one.

"If they pissed you off enough to do that? Then no." He shook his head and I shrugged.

"Smart monkey." I took the bag from him, pulling out the two towels and several water bottles he had in it. "If any manage to crawl their way out of the door. Kick them back in." I glanced back towards where smoke was starting to billow out of the doorway. The screams were piercing and guttural as the fire consumed them.

"Yes, sir." He gave me another nod and I turned away from him as I cracked the bottle open, dumping some on the towel before pouring the rest over my head. I didn't wish to distress Emily by coming back coated in blood. I wiped myself off, clearing the blood away efficiently from my body with the wet towel before removing the remnants with the dry. I stripped off my clothes and yanked the new clothes out of the bag, putting them on quickly.

I had been away from the tower for too long and I didn't wish to leave Emily alone with her grief for much longer. I got into the SUV and ran my hand through my damp hair, making sure I rinsed most of the blood away. "You missed some, sir." The driver motioned to his right eyebrow before adjusting the rear view mirror so I could see. I gave him a curt nod as I picked up the dry towel and cleaned up the spot I missed. "Back to the tower, sir?" He held himself stiffly and I wondered if it was because he could hear the spine tingling screams that were emerging from the bar.

I paused with my answer before slowly shaking my head. "To market street." I needed time to burn off the energy that flowed through me. I wished to return to Emily but not while I was still so jittery from the bloodlust. The driver nodded and pulled away from the curb. I watched out the window as the buildings moved by. This city was grating to me. I was feeling conflicted about it, I was doing as was my birthright but it felt strange now.

I never questioned things before Emily. My world was black and white and she had shown me the world of greys that she lived in. It was a jarring feeling for me, one I had hated but after a while I realized the use those shades of grey had. She had some how made me a better leader, a more informed one. I rubbed at my face, exhaling heavily.