Chapter 16

Bella's pov.

Carlisle and Esme returned with our last witness.

"How many came? " Carlisle asked.

"Eighteen. You have some good friends." Edward confirmed.

"And Alice?" Esme asked. I shake my head indicating that Alice has still not returned, Esme hugs me.

"We'll all be on Aro's list now. Centuries on the run. That's what you've brought me. Some friend, Carlisle." Alistair snarled.

"Alistair, come meet everyone." Carlisle gestured nicely.

"I already told you, if it comes to a fight, I won't stand against the Volturi." Alistair said.

"It won't come to a fight." Carlisle assured.

"I'll be in the attic." Alistair grumbled. We watch as Alistair jumps up onto the roof and walks off.

"He's not a people person. " Esme commented.

"He seemed like a jackass to me." I heard a voice then I smelt it blood.

"Ruby" I smiled and turned around.

"Hey" She walked over to hug me.

"You weren't meant to be home until tomorrow." I thought out loud.

"You sounded worried on the phone, so I thought I'd come back early." Ruby explains.

"Where's Seth?" I asked.

"I dropped him off at his house"

"Come inside, renesmee's been asking when you'd get back." I told walking her inside.

*timeskip*

We opened our home to 18 vampires. Many with gifts of their own. Zafrina had power over the mind. She could make anyone see what she wanted them to. I watch as Zafrina makes Edward see something in the forest.

"If you weren't holding my hand right now, I could swear this was real." Edward said to me.

"I don't see anything." I commented.

"Edward, you didn't tell me your wife is a shield." Eleazar spoke in amazement.

"What's a shield?" I asked. Edward suddenly understands and smiles.

"The ones I've met are so different." Edward smiled.

"It's a defensive talent." Eleazar stated.

"It's why I couldn't read your mind, even before. It's why Aro couldn't."

"You have a very powerful gift." Eleazar spoke. Suddenly Kate takes my hand, I can see the voltage hitting me but I can't feel it.

"Oh, yeah, she's a shield, all right. Shoulda put her on her ass." Kate said.

"Or your voltage has been exaggerated." Garrett teased.

"Maybe it only works on the weak." Kate said and puts her hand up, daring Garrett to try and touch her.

"Garrett, I wouldn't." Carlisle warns. Garrett touches his finger to Kate's hand and he's instantly electrocuted and falls to the ground.

"You are an amazing woman." Garrett says on the ground.

Ruby's pov.

Jacob and I are teaching some new, young Quileutes how to control themselves when they turn into wolves

"Now, you guys can do some serious damage. Which is why you'll need to control your phasing. If your mom pisses you off, you don't want to tear her head off. " Jacob says. Suddenly Jacob stops as he hears something in the woods.