Chapter Six - Zdana

She was sure she had everything she needed as she put her backpack on. The last thing she grabbed was a copy of the map Grant had discovered and a copy of a map of the southern mines.

The last week, all of her time and effort was focused into helping set up the hydroponics system. Everything had been tested, checked, and double checked. Once the massive water tables were hooked up to the main water supply, her job was finished until they could get the special sun lights they would need to grow food.

Her poppa promised he would have them soon. That gave her time to work on her newest project. She left the cave and was startled to see Grant heading her way with a similar pack on his back and a smile on his face. The man had made himself useful the last week. With him monitoring Citynet, she was free to work on repairs and the hydroponics.

'Grady helped me gear up.' The man said looking proud of himself. 'I am ready when you are.' Zdana scowled confused. She had told no one of her plans. Not even her poppa. Grant just smiled smugly. 'Well are we going to scout a path to the library or stand around all day?' He started for the west passage and she was tempted to let the fool keep going.

'Wrong way.' She told him before turning south. Let him think he would go. No point dashing his hopes. He was getting stronger everyday as his body adjusted to the high gravs of the Fens. This hike would take more than determination however. She gave him an hour before he wore out and turned back.

Grant caught up with her already panting in excursion. Maybe an hour was optimistic. To his credit, he did not complain once as she led them through the tunnels. Were it not for his foot falls, she would have forgotten he was there.

It was not until two hours into their hike that he faltered. She heard him hit the wall and turned to check if he was okay. He seemed to have a lot of trouble standing and then she realized why and frowned going to him.

'I am sorry.' She said helping him walk. 'It will pass once we get out of this passage.'

'What is it?' He gasped. He was pale and his face was strained and covered with sweat.

'This passage marks the borders of the Deeps. We are very deep down right now.' She explained. 'You should not have come with me. You seem to be much stronger than a standard new blood, but this next mile will be very dangerous for you.'

'But not you?' He asked. She had to give the guy some credit. He looked horrible but was still willing to ask questions.

'No, not for me.' She sighed 'I am mixed. The gravs do not affect me like they do a full tarren.'

'Last I heard, Deeps men were tarren too.' Grant said with a weak chuckle.

'You have been talking to the smiths.' Zdana said impressed. 'New bloods in general avoid the people of the Deeps the first couple of years.' Before she could say more, she spotted a flash of red eyes in the distance. The gaze returned and the eyes narrowed.

'What you be do'n down here pup?' Came an annoyed growl. As she moved from the light putting it to her back she could make out a four foot high figure in the distance. 'You should be know'n better then bringing a Fens man down here.'

'We are going to the south mines.' Zdana explained. 'He is a new blood. That is why he struggles.' The mutant nodded worried and moved to Grant's other side.

'Lean on me young'n.' The man said 'Don't you be afraid now. Those from the Deeps be stronger then we be look'n.'

'Your Jackel right?' Zdana asked trying to distract Grant from his obvious discomfort in the high gravs. 'Sansone's youngest.