Chapter Thirty Nine - Zdana

'You're lucky.' Panta said pulling her out of a light doze. After they had got done probing the gashes on her hand they had put her into a scanner. The light hum had lulled her into sleep. 'Nothing seems to be broken.'

'Seems?' Grant asked worried.

'The scanner gave out before we could finish.' Reese said worried. 'It is giving off a code error I do not recognize. The equipment is old and working long as it has, is surprising to say the least. We did get a good look at her hand, head and ribs. All of them are intact just bruised.' He looked to her worried. 'Rest. The council has announced the next two days as days of rest so take advantage of it. You still have not bounced back from the last air shift. Adding this is not safe. I want you in bed tomorrow.' She nodded sure she would not be able to stand tomorrow let alone crawl out of bed.

'Give her these.' Panta said giving Grant a pack of something. 'Numb root. It is stronger than the tea, and will help her sleep comfortably. Zdana shook her head.

'It is not that bad. Just give me numb tea.' She sat up not sure why she refused. Just the little movement she made told her tomorrow was going to be a living hell if she messed around too much. The root would help ease that. Panta just nodded and gave Grant a different bag.

Zava and Olson burst into the room looking wide eyed and terrified. Without a word, the two rushed to her side and drew her into their arms holding her close.

'I am okay.' She told them.

'We be just hear'n now what happened.' Olson snarled. 'It be true Roaric's dead?' Zdana nodded.

'I killed him.' She said still not sure how she felt about that. She had killed countless city watchman at the battle of the Fens and had lost no sleep over it at all. Roaric was a bully and cheat, but he was still one of them. Even if she had never liked him, she had grown up with him and knew him her entire life.

'You don't be worry'n yourself about that pup.' Zava scolded as if her momma had read her mind. 'Mother no be sing'n to Roaric during the hammer'n. He wasn't one of us. I don't think he ever be one of us. There always be something dark about that boy.'

The news of Mother rejecting the man should have been more of a surprise than it was. It did help ease her conscience and she felt a tight knot that had formed in her chest ease. Grant ran his fingers through her hair and she smiled to him even though it hurt her jaw to do so. The bastard Roaric had gotten in a couple of good hits before she had been able to take him down.

'You two should be stay'n here the night.' Olson suggested looking to Grant. 'Big crowd be outside want'n to know what be go'n on. They no be come'n in here, but can't be say'n the same for your home.' Grant nodded his agreement before looking to Zdana.

'I will slip out the back and make a run to the house.' He told her worried. 'Need anything other than a change of clothes?'

'Aye, the portable terminal.' She said not really wanting to mess around with that at the moment. 'The dome could open any second and I need to have that information in the servers and backed up before it does.' Grant looked as if he may argue for a moment, then nodded. He took off his pack and pulled out the terminal setting it beside her. After giving her a very gentle kiss, he moved to leave. Xavier stopped him.

'I will go.' The man offered. 'You three should stay here with her and get her comfortable. I will get my people together and make sure you're not bothered.' Grant nodded.

'Thank you Xavier.' Zdana sighed. He nodded before leaving.

'There is a privet room in the back big enough for all of you.' Panta said drawing their attention. 'Zdana, I would like you to wear a hospital gown for now. It will make it easier for us to check on you later.' Zdana did not have enough left in her to argue against it. Her momma and grandpa step back giving Grant room to help her remove her shirt. Olson let out a low whistle wincing as her blackened ribs were exposed.