Chapter Forty Five - Zdana

She woke swearing and could not seem to stop herself. Every curse she had ever heard in the mines came flying out of her mouth as if she had been possessed. When she had control of herself again and could focus her eyes, she saw she was sitting up in Grant's arms at one of many small fires. Those who were sharing their fire wore mixed expressions of amusement and shock.

'Well good morning to you too.' Grant chuckled. 'I have never heard you curse before.'

'I hate bears.' Was all Zdana could get out before her momma was there with water for her to drink. She downed more than half the flask before she stopped for breath. Looking up to Grant, she could see the worry in her mate's eyes. 'Hi.' He laughed before kissing her long and deep. The pain in her arm and side melted away at the warmth of his lips against hers. Grant sighed as he broke their mouths apart.

'How do you feel?' He asked kissing her forehead.

'Better.' She told him realizing it was the truth. Her arm and ribs hurt, but not as bad as she knew they should. 'Is the baby okay?'

'Aye. The baby is good and strong.' Grant told her. 'Better than his or her momma. That bear broke four of your ribs. How you were able to keep fighting after that, I will never know.' Zdana placed her hand on the small forming baby bump.

'I had good reason to keep fighting.' She told him frowning at the memory of the fever nightmares. 'When did you all get here? Did you find Mores? I think I left him tired by the fire.'

'She not be remember'n?' Zava asked Grant confused.

'No Zava. Panta and Reese said she probably would not due to the high fever.' Grant sighed before telling her what had happened. She snarled wanting to stand and murder Mores.

'Is he dead?' She demanded.

'Aye love.' Grant told her motioning to the back of the tunnel. 'He clung to life for three days before the shock of his wounds killed him. My grandpa stuffed his body in the back of the tunnel we came through so it would not attract predators. A few have been attracted to the long walk by the noise. We have a nice stock of furs and fresh meat now.' He motioned to the black fur covering her naked form. 'You prize for destroying that bear. Grady processed it for you.' She nodded and lay her head to his chest felling tired despite just waking.

'Don't be sleep'n yet pup.' Zava soothed. 'You be need'n to eat first.'

'How long did I sleep momma?' Zdana asked. 'I feel odd.'

'About a week now.' Zava sighed. 'You be awful sick pup. That bear's claws be foul and bring on a nasty infection and fever. Even after the doctors be drain'n the puss out and clean'n it good, they had to be use'n strong stuff to beat the corruption. It be a good lesson for us all. We be fight'n the beast come'n into the caves at a distance. All their claws be contaminated.'

'How many?' She asked worried. There was no way she would risk her baby again. Maybe she would talk about moving them to the back of the cave.

'Five in total.' Grant said. 'Another bear, some wolves, and a big cat like creature that was not covered in the books. It looked almost like the panther on the neighboring continent, but this one was white coated with darker white dots.'

'That was in there.' Zdana said thinking. 'I saw a mention of it in the section of winter animals. It's a snow cat. They come down from the north mountains to hunt in the winter.' Worry flooded her. 'If they are here, then we cannot leave the tunnels.'

'We not be go'n anywhere for a while pup.' Zava assured her. Then the two told her about the souls in the stone speaking to them. Zdana shook her head eyes wide in surprise.