Chapter Twenty-Four.

Chapter Twenty-Four

Michel

"Any luck?"

I growled, slamming the door shut behind me.

Richard raised an eyebrow. "I'm gonna take that as a no."

Frustrated, I ran my hands through my hair. "I don't understand where the fuckers disappeared to! We have guards all around the edges of the territory--there's no way they escaped."

"They're hiding," Richard said. "You'll find them soon enough, don't worry."

I collapsed onto the couch. "All I can do is worry. Finding those asshole rogues is the only productive thing I can do at all right now. Jem is stuck in jail and I can't do anything to help her, so I might as well make myself useful here."

Richard sat on the armchair beside me. "Mike, you know she doesn't blame you, right?"

I glared at the floor. "I know. I still blame myself, though."

"You shouldn't," Richard insisted. "Alphas all over the country get searched by the government. It's normal. Our lifestyle raises suspicion all the time."

"Still, it feels like my fault," I sighed. "Derek's obsessed with me because I was an asshole to him. I basically told him there was no chance in hell he'd ever bring me in...I'm thinking he took it personally."

Richard paused. "You said that?"

I winced. "Kinda."

He sighed. "You're a fucking idiot."

I growled. "I know, okay? I didn't have a mate back then. How was I supposed to know she'd end up mixed into all of this?"

We both sat there for a while, just staring into space thoughtfully.

"Dinner!"

Cynthia's thoughts broke us out of our trance.

"Let's go," Richard said, patting me on the shoulder. "Sitting here worrying isn't doing you any good."

"Okay," I sighed. "Hey, has Chase talked to Jem recently?"

Richard laughed. "Are you kidding? The kid practically peed his pants, he was so excited to hear her voice. They talked for half an hour."

"Wowww," I crawled sarcastically. "She talked to me for less than five minutes."

Richard burst out laughing.

"Man, you have some serious competition," he chuckled.

"Yeah, yeah," I grumbled. "Where is the little twerp, anyways?"

***

Jem

Chase, I'll talk to you later, sweetie, I have to go now.

Okay, bye, Ms Luna Jem!

"If you're done, I'd really like to go now," Courntey said, half joking, half serious as she waited by our open cell door, her arms crossed over her chest.

"Sorry," I replied. "I'm ready. Let's go."

The hall was full of inmates as we poured into the cafeteria. The line stretched all the way outside, where guards stood at the watch.