Chapter 9: Blood

On the drive home, it was completely silent. It was like Nicole seriously didn't want to be found. She really didn't.

*1 week later*

  After a week of everyone crying over Nicole's reappearance and her being grounded, I decided to go over to Nicole's house to ask her questions to get the most awaited answers. I was eager for information. I bring Kyle, Lucas and Emma with me for company.

Nicole's POV

  The doorbell rings and my mom answers it. I look from over the mantle and I see Alexis with her friends.

  "Hi Mrs. Patterson. I was wondering if I could see Nicole, please?" Alexis asked.

  "Sure, come on in," my mom answered. Why mom, why? I went back and my room and waiting. With each footstep getting closer and closer to me, I felt anticipation. The knock on my door said it all. She knocked again.

  "Come in," I said. I did not land an eye of her.

  "Nicole... Why did you run away?" Alexis asked. I turned and looked at her dead shot in the eyes. Emma, Kyle and Lucas were standing behind her in the doorway.

  "No! Why did you slap me?" I throw back at her.

  "I wanted you to have safety. Okay, I didn't quite understand why you would show your," she explained, "powers," she whispered so Rose wouldn't hear her.

  "That's stupid. You have a mouth to talk for a reason not a hand to go slap people," I admitted.

  "I wasn't thinking. When I'm not thinking, I do really... REALLY... stupid things. But, when I start thinking again, I realize that's stupid. And it's stupid that I slapped you. I know I shouldn't have."

  "You never said 'sorry'"

  "I'm sorry for slapping you."

  "And what are you going to do next time you get mad at me?"

  "I'll use my words," she smiled.

  "Don't try that with me," I mentioned.

  "Why'd you run away?" Alexis asked. So many thoughts went through my hand in that split second; why'd she come here to ask me all these questions, why'd she bring them and why does it matter when she clearly doesn't care?

  Should I trust Alexis Winters?

  "Can I trust you?" I asked.

  "Yes. I kinda can't tell anyone."

  "Can we talk alone?" I asked. Alexis turned around and stared at Emma, Kyle and Lucas. They got the message and stepped outside of my room, Alexis closing the door behind them. I got up from my bed and opened my door. They were standing there with their ears against the door. I gave them a death stare and they immediately went downstairs. I sat back on my bed, closing the door behind me.

  "Okay, I ran away because I feel like no one understands what position I am in right now. And as I said last week, I'm in fear everyday that the government will take me in and run these insane tests on me. I just want to be normal. So I ran away hoping that I could find somewhere where I can get a fresh start and everyone sees me as a normal teenage girl living a normal teenage girl life obsessing over what clothes to where and boys. Not... THIS! I just out of all people, why me in particular?" I explained. I felt relieved saying that.

  "I'm sorry for not being their for you when it's the toughest times. It must really suck. I'm a dickwad," she apologized, her face was full of empathy now.