Chapter 18: Failed

-I bleed when I fall down- Christina Perri

Christina Perri

  "No," I say. I started crying.

  And everything immediately stops. The earthquake, the hail, the rain, the sky -- it all just stops. Like she caused it. Her being alive caused it. Now that she's dead, because of me, it stopped.

  But nothing was worse than knowing that I just killed someone. I let her hand go. Why did I do that? 

  "No," I whisper. I sit down and push myself to the edge, thinking that I can save her.

  Bailey comes running towards me, grabs my waist, and pulls me back, pushing me to the ground. "Don't," she says. "Don't. You did not kill her."

  I slap her hands off and say, "Yes, I did. Now go away." 

  She sighs when she gets a phone call, and walks away.

  I go back to the edge and stare at her floating body.

  Lucas grabs my face and looks me straight in the eyes. "Hey, you did not kill her--"

  "But I let go of her hand."

  "Just because you let go of her hand by accident does not mean you killed her."

  "Yes, it does. I let go."

  "The rain caused you to let go. You didn't just let go because you wanted to," he says.

  I move my eyes over to peek over the bridge, but Lucas turns my face to him and says, "Hey, look at me. You did not kill her. And knowing you, you would never do something like that."

  "But I just did, Lucas. I killed her."

  He slaps me on the cheek, hard.

  "Ow! Why did--"

  He instantly says, "Because I want you to stop saying that." He hugs me, pulling me into his chest, and while he rubs my back, I just let it all out: I sob, I sob, and I sob.

  "Lucas," I say.

  "Yeah?" he whispers back.

  "Thank you... But that doesn't fix the fact that she's dead. Dead forever. They say you can fix all your mistakes, but death, yeah, it's only mistake you can't fix."