Mixed Feelings

Anisa's POV:

As much as I enjoyed the company of a gentle and kind person like Usman, my mind was filled with worry. Ali might have forgotten about it since the jerk didn't give a damn but it was still lingering on my mind.

Going alone to the first dinner arranged by my dearest sister and my family relatives who I hadn't even seen in years was not something I was happy about. Not that I wanted to go with him. My relatives would raise questions and they would ask me about my relationship and I would have to tell them the truth.

And if I told the truth...

My father would be waiting to catch me when that happened and my fate would be that of my mother's. I sighed in defeat. I looked down at my plate of food, playing with the fresh-cut vegetables with a fork as Ali and Usman made small talk about their family.

It didn't interest me to be very honest, but I had to sit down for good manners' sake. Usman was our guest and leaving him alone to eat on the first night was just outright rude. He was such a nice guy. So kind and civilized. The total opposite of his cousin, who was, unfortunately, my husband.

"Well, I'm full," Usman stated which made me look up from my plate. "Thank you for such a lovely meal, guys." He shot a smile towards us. I smiled in return. "No need to say thank you so much. You're family." I told him. I glanced towards Ali and motioned for him to back me up in the conversation.

Understanding my gestures, he turned to his cousin again.
"She's right." he simply said. I rolled my eyes mentally. He didn't know how to sweet talk or how to be kind to someone. He was such a dry person and despite that, he had a long line of girls ready to die for him.

"Ali can show you to your room. You can settle down and rest. I'm sure your flight was tiring." I said. He nodded in agreement and both of them stood up to leave.

I went straight to my room to take off my hijab and Abaya. I had just put my hijab back in the hanger when Ali entered. We didn't talk to each other and just like that, he went to the bathroom.

When he got out, he was wearing a blue t-shirt over some jeans. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't look away. Honestly, he looked very attractive with the blue shirt that matched his skin tone. As soon as he caught me looking at him, I looked away. I wanted to compliment him but of course, considering the kind of person he was, he would tease me for it for the rest of my life.

"Do you think Usman will tell anyone about our marriage?" Ali suddenly said, knocking me out of my thoughts.

"Who would he tell? It's not like he knows anyone here." I pointed out. Ali shook his head. "You weren't listening to us at dinner, were you?"

I shook my head in embarrassment. "I was a bit... distracted." I lied. He nodded his head slowly, in a mocking manner. "Well, it didn't look like that since you were so busy trying to be such a good 'host' to him." He said it in a sarcastic way which made me scowl. "What do you want to say exactly?"

He waved it off by shaking his head. "Anyway, he has a few friends here and I think my friends know them. And this secret of ours is juicy gossip. There's no doubt it will spread like fire."

What he said slowly made me tense up. I forgot about the taunting comment Ali had thrown at me and started to worry about what he noted. "This is... troubling," I said. Ali shrugged. "Maybe he won't tell. He doesn't look like a person who would gossip around."

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Maybe. You said maybe. We have to take this seriously! I don't want to be surrounded by those drama queens the rest of the year." I called out. He got quiet for a moment, thinking about something. Then he looked up as if he had come to a conclusion.