Romance

Anisa's POV:

"Stop asking me that kinda stuff, Maryam!" I cried out, burying my face into my hands and blushing with embarrassment. Maryam, my maternal cousin, a girl older than by two years with dull skin and bright grey eyes, smiled cheekily.

She straightened herself, moving away from me.

"I was thinking you would tell me all the juicy stuff but looks like you're too shy about it. I'm just going to guess you actually did it."

The beautiful embroidered pink shirt she was wearing made her skin glow, almost making me jealous. She was an Eastern beauty while I looked neither Eastern nor Western.

"Nothing happened! Really! Your questions are just so explicit! I can't help it if I get embarrassed." I told her waving my hands in exasperation. She burst out laughing. "Is this really the same Anisa I met three years ago? We used to be so casual about this kind of conversation."

I pouted. "It's different when you take someone's name specifically and then ask about all that…" I whispered to her, to ensure no one in that room would hear us. She nodded knowingly with her mouth forming an 'o'.

"But you're married now!" she reminded me. "And to a handsome guy, I've heard. There must be  romantic scenes you can tell me, right?"

I stopped, thinking about the past two days. We did have some romantic moments, but it almost felt like a sin to call them that. I didn't want to be in a relationship of that kind with stupid Ali Hassan.

"We didn't, really. Real-life marriage is really different than what they show in stories." I told her even though that was not true. Under normal circumstances, real-life marriage was like the ones they showed in movies and stories, usually. At least the starting few years. But because Ali Hassan was such a douche, I couldn't bring myself to even consider this a legit relationship.

Or maybe I wasn't willing to.

I turned to Maryam who looked at me like she wasn't convinced. "I don't believe it." She said. Just then, Asma Baji rolled over to us with a bright smile pasted on her face. One she had on the whole time we were there. "What're you two whispering about? I wanna know too." She sat down beside me with curiosity written all over her face.

Maryam laughed. "Come on now Asma Baji. You can't be sitting here with us. Your place is with all the old aunties over there." she didn't point towards the group of the old women chatting away in a corner but her eyes showed where. Asma baji gave her a playful glare. "What're you talking about,  Maryam? I just turned 17 this March." We all knew she was lying but we laughed anyway.

"You have a 17-year-old son yourself. When did you get married then, Baji?" I joined in. "When you were a year old?" as I added that, Maryam started laughing loudly. And like that, we spent the next fifteen minutes teasing Asma Baji about her age when finally I became the topic of conversation again.

"So Anisa," Baji turned to me. "How's your life doing with Ali, huh?" she was poking fun at me but genuinely asking me that at the same time. I shrugged. "Fine, I guess. We do have the advantage of going to school together and being project partners." I told her casually.
She narrowed her eyes at me. "Yeah but what about your romantic life?"

As she said that, I looked away trying to avoid eye contact. "Why does everyone here want to know about that?" I groaned. She leaned in closer, her expression getting serious. By that, I was certain that if I told her the truth then she would announce it everywhere and a scene would be created. Ali would probably get a few scoldings from Salman Bhai and Imran and my relatives would be worried about me.

"Because it's important for healthy marriage life. Do you even act like his wife, Anisa? Taking care of him and all." she started sounding serious about it and Maryam felt the change of atmosphere but despite that, she couldn't help herself and leaned in to listen anyway.