A New Flame

(Queen)

Monica

My feet sat on the table as I relaxed on my leather couch enjoying my Saturday evening. I was flipping through a magazine and sipping some lemonade when Queen came next to me.

"Hey mama." Queen said plopping down on the couch.

"Hey baby." I continued to flip through the pages.

"Well as you know prom is in two days and I don't have a dress."

"Okay I'm listening."

"I was hoping we could go shopping today."

I sighed. "I didn't plan on going anywhere today Q."

"Pleaseeee Mo."

"Alright. Fine. Go get dressed."

She squealed and got off the couch running upstairs. I laughed a little and noticed the vibration of my phone constantly going off.

As I grabbed it I saw that 1-800 number. A number I haven't seen in some years. My heart began to beat faster. I hesitated on answering. I slowly pressed the green answer button.

"Hello?"I spoke a little above a whisper.

"Hello ma'am I was calling to see if you are interested in ordering-"

I took a deep breath relieved that it wasn't King calling from the prison it was just a sells lady.

"No thanks I'm not interested." I hung up in a hurry.

I don't know what is wrong with me. Maybe I'm just paranoid. I don't understand why because King has years before he's released. He's not getting out anytime soon so I have no idea why I'm worried.

"I'll be in the car Q." I yelled to her getting off the sofa.

"Okay." She responded from upstairs.

As I walked outside I saw Miracle playing in the yard with a hoola-hoop.

"Your sister and I are going shopping. Wanna tag along?"

"Sure." She dropped the hoola-hoop and jumped in the backseat of my truck.

As we sat waiting I put my forehead on the steering wheel.

"Mama you okay?" Miracle asked concerned.

"Yea sweetie."

"You're thinking about that man again aren't you?" She asked referring to Kingston.

"That man has a name. And he isn't just any man, he's your father."

"Well I don't know him so therefore I'm not going to give him the title as a 'father'." Miracle bluntly stated.

It was true. Miracle has never seen or spoken to King. The same for Queen. She chose not to visit or talk to him.

Don't think it's my fault because it isn't. I asked them repeatedly did they want to go visit King they always responded with the same answer; no.