Chapter Forty Three

This is another photo from my holiday! The mountain on the right is Suilven (the one that we climbed) and to the left is Canisp! The picture was taken during an amazing sunset on our last day

This is another photo from my holiday! The mountain on the right is Suilven (the one that we climbed) and to the left is Canisp! The picture was taken during an amazing sunset on our last day. I really want to go back!

The following weeks are hard work. The whole academy is constantly training and everyone is exhausted. Us Royals also have to make sure our training across all of Shadow has been implemented. Today, however, is the day of the executions of the prisoners. I am dreading it. The Execution Arena has not been used for many years apparently, so today is a very different day. Early in the morning, some women come into our rooms carrying dresses and paints for our faces. Apparently, everyone must wear red or black during an execution. It is quiet and solemn as we are made ready. Even Tanya doesn't look excited about the fancy dresses and makeup. Once I am done, I do not want to look in the mirror, but I know I must. The dress I wear is completely black. The material is textured like scales. It has a halter neckline and covers my all of my torso but one triangular cut out just above my belly button. The skirt dramatically falls to the ground below it. My hair has been kept fully down. The pure white waves falling elegantly to my hips. On my face, black spikes have been painted around my eyes, all linking to look like a mask. My lips are bloody red. My sisters also look similar. The same scale like texture and mask pattern paint around our eyes. Even our lips are the same shade of red. Though the dresses differ in style. Finally, our crowns are placed upon our heads. Toryn comes into our room. Again, like us, he wears full black. It is a long robe thing with no sleeves and thick straps around the shoulders. It falls all the way to the floor and is a scale texture like ours. Underneath, he wears leather trousers. Around his eyes, the black mask pattern has been painted too.

"Are you ready?" He asks us. The three of us nod our heads. Serenity takes my hand as I take a deep nervous breath. Her smile is soft as she looks at me.

The capitol is quiet as we ride through. No one is even there. Most have made their way to watch the execution. We head to the prison at the Bank. I am with all the other young royals. Their parents, still against the idea, are already going to the arena. I wanted to speak to the prisoners. As were my instructions, they have not been harmed in any way. In fact, they have been well fed.

"Which one seems to be the leader out of them all?" I ask Lord Sven. He points over to one cell in particular. I make my way over to it. The man behind it sits perfectly still and relaxed.

"Have you managed to get anything out of any of them yet?" I ask. Of course, they had been questioned, but not tortured. I wouldn't allow it.

"No, your majesty," he replies. I nod my head, looking at the man behind the bars.

"You won't get anything out of me. I know what is happening today," he tells me. "I am not scared." I smile softly.

"No, I bet you aren't," I tell him. He looks up at me with dark eyes then scoffs.