Chapter Ten

Near a place called Tyndrum in Scotland

We all walk out of the training room together.

"What now?" Serenity asks Iona.

"Lunch is next," Iona replies as we walk into another grand hall. A long table goes up the middle covered in food which has been beautifully decorated. The hall is beautiful with high stone beams and an intricately carved ceiling. Other shifters sit around the room with plates full of food. Archways lead out into a small field. We follow the others to the table and get a plate each, helping ourselves to the meats, fruits and pastries that decorate the long table. We then head out onto the small field outside the archways. Surrounding the small patch of grass are high walls of stone which makes up the mountain which rises on either side of the stone archway exit. Opposite the exit is a drop onto the ground far below. I look back at the stone pillars and see the rock rising above it. You wouldn't think that there was a grand hall behind the archways, that's part of the beauty of the building. It is built so perfectly into the stone. Vines make their way up the stones and water crashes next to us. We all sit down with our food.

"What meat is this?" I ask.

"It is the meat of animals shifters don't turn into," Iona replies.

"All the meat we eat comes from animals that used to live on the Dark Island but are now farmed across shadow to provide food for all the predators," Daniel tells us. I nod my head.

"All the herbivore animals, of course, we wouldn't bring any of the predators over here," Finola laughs.

I bite into a strawberry and flavour explodes in my mouth. I sigh and smile. All we've really eaten is meat for the past few years, not really anything else. I try a pastry and smile again. I especially haven't eaten something like this. I also realize that I haven't eaten since the last time we went hunting which was about three days ago now!

"You all look like you haven't eaten anything like this ever," Iona says.

"We haven't for a long time," Toryn replies.

"Yeah, all we ate was meat, occasionally Serenity would grow something," Tanya tells them. Their eyes widen.

"Can you all use the elements?" Yvette asks, flicking her grey hair over her shoulder.

"Yes," I reply. Serenity touches the ground and a plant begins to grow. A strawberry plant with little white flowers and large juicy red strawberries. Daniels' eyes widen in amazement as he watches my sister. I pick off another strawberry and pop it into my mouth. It tastes even better than the other one. I think strawberries are my new favourite food.

"Help yourself," Serenity laughs as Daniel stares wide-eyed at the plant. He picks it off the plant and pops it into his mouth. The others do the same.