TWELVE

"If any word that you saidCould have made me forgetWould I get up off the floorCause this is all in my head"—Broods

Could have made me forget
Would I get up off the floor
Cause this is all in my head"
—Broods

REID

She's here.

She's alive.

She's in my arms, alive.

She's not dead.

She's not dead.

She's not fucking dead.

My mind wouldn't shut the hell up. This poor girl, my poor girl, was so hurt.

But she is not broken.

She still eats, drinks, sleeps, dreams, breathes and she's damn well still intact.

So therefore, she is not broken. I never want to hear her say that about herself. I never want to hear her say anything bad about herself, period.

But she was close.

So fucking close to leaving me behind, leaving this horrid world behind.

Seeing her in that red bathtub, with her wrists slit and head submerged . . . it woke something from inside me.

I made a vow, while I'll pulled her from the bathtub, that I will never leave her.

Not when she is sick, not when she's upset, not even when she begs me.

She is mine. My angel.

She's too delicate in this world.

I feel a stir in my arms. I look down and watch as she snuggles deeper into my side. Her tiny hands dig into my chest as if holding on for dear life.

Suddenly, something feels wet on my chest. I look down and see my sleeping angel crying against my bare chest.

I pull her up closer to my face. Her head rests on my shoulder. Using the pad of my thumb I wipe away the fallen tears.

A smile lifts upon her beautiful face. God, she really was the most beautiful girl in the world. I would give anything to take back all these one night stands and meaningless fucks if it meant we would be each other's first.

But I can't.

And neither can she.

Her innocence was stolen from her. Meaninglessly stolen from her. The thought alone enrages me.

I was so deep in thought I hadn't realized my once sleeping angel was now awake, and staring up at me with those big amber eyes.

"Good morning," she says in that sexy morning voice.