TWENTY

"It's automatic, it's just what they doThey say 'All good boys go to heaven'But bad boys bring Heaven to you"—Julia Michaels

They say 'All good boys go to heaven'
But bad boys bring Heaven to you"
—Julia Michaels

MEREDITH

     I watch as his body falls to the ground. He's dead . . . he's finally dead.

     "Baby," I snap my head over to Reid. There's blood trailing out of his shoulder and he's acting like it's a scratch. I open my arms and make grabby hands like a child does when it wants 'uppie.' Luis gently places me in Reid's arms. I'm careful not to touch his shoulder.

     "Don't worry angel, it's not the first time I've been shot," he says as if it's the most normal thing ever. I find it completely absurd.

     "B-But—"

     "Angel, let's go home." And we do. We walk off that field with all of his men. All walking with pride. Their eyes do not linger over my naked body, but lock with my eyes. They all give me a curt nod and continue. I respect them for this. I mean, after all, they did save me.

     When we get back to the line of SUVs, one of the men hand me a blanket. "Thank you," I say.

     "Of course, darling." He replies with a soft smile to which I return. When I look back to Reid I can't help but notice the resemblance between the two.

     "Brother," Reid says. His brother claps him on the back and greets him. "Meredith, this is Ryan, my brother."

     "Ryan, pleased to meet the girl my big brother is nonstop talking about," I blush and bury my head in Reid's neck.

     Ryan shares his dirty blonde hair with Reid, while his eyes are lime green rather than Reid's electric blue. He's quite tall as well, and definitely muscular. I would be lying if I said he wasn't attractive, but the only one I have eyes for is Reid.

     I wake up in a bedroom . . . my bedroom! I remember falling asleep on the car ride back. I couldn't help it! With Reid caressing my hair and whispering sweet nothings in my ear, sleep eventually took over.

     My room is still the same besides the overwhelming scent of medicine and sterilizer. I look around and realize the IVs in my arm. A heart monitor filling the deathly silence in the room.

     "My angel," Reid takes my hand and kisses each knuckle.

     "Oh my Meredith . . ." I look to my right and see the three people I've grown to love. My family.

     "Oh, honey!" Lisa wraps her arms around me gently. Her warms tears glide down my neck as she cries. "I've missed you so much, I'm so sorry!"

     Next is Holly. Her eyes are red and swollen from crying. Seeing her in this state brings tears to my eyes. "Mere!" We both cry in each other's arms. I've never seen her breakdown like this before . . . she's always seemed so strong. It makes my heart warm that my family was so worried about me.