THIRTY TWO

"Don't ask me what you know is trueDon't have to tell you, oh, I love your precious heartI was standing, you were thereTwo worlds collideAnd they could never, ever tear us apart"—Bishop Briggs

Don't have to tell you,
oh, I love your precious heart
I was standing, you were there
Two worlds collide
And they could never, ever tear us apart"
—Bishop Briggs

     It's been a week since I discovered my unplanned pregnancy. I haven't told anyone besides those near and dear to me; the boys, the Philips, Susanna and—well, an unresponsive Reid.

     People have been filing in and out of the room all day, saying their prayers and vacating the room for the next visitors. I've seen people come and go—some I've never even met though they claim to be good friends to Reid. I've met new members of the Mafia and even the man himself, Reid's father.

     I'm not gonna lie, I was intimidated by his burly structure and the power that radiates off of him. Yet, as soon as he saw me, he pulled me into a gentle yet bone-crushing embrace. He reminded me so much of Reid that I didn't hesitate to cry into his chest, and he didn't mind. We stood for what felt like hours in each other's warm embrace.

     When we finally pulled apart, Mr. Taylor led me to the chairs at Reid's bedside.

     "Mr. Taylor—"

     "Jackson, please call me Jackson."

     "Right, Jackson. I'm so sorry about Reid," I murmured as my head cast downwards in shame and regret. Two fingers under my chin forced me to look up into the same electric blue eyes Reid's acquired. This move, also one I've accustomed to with Reid.

     "Sorry? Little one, you have absolutely nothing to be sorry for. If anything, I should be saying thank you," his ruff voice rung in my ears. Thank you?

     I knit my eyebrows as I try to search what he should be thanking me for.

     "My dear, you've brought happiness back in Reid's life. After the death of his mother," he paused and screwed his eyes shut. I placed a hand on his shoulder and he seemed to relax under my touch of reassurance, "He became dark. He closed off everyone, even me . . . but I understand, I was the same way. I guess some ways of mourning are quite similar."

     "Like father, like son," I whispered under my breathe. However, Jackson seemed to have caught it because he let out a snicker.

     "Exactly. We both needed a bit of light in our worlds, and you just happen to be his."

     My cheeks flushed as I glanced at Reid. I watched in silence as Jackson stood up and approached Reid's bed. His hands curled into fists and his jaw ticked, but he relaxed and brought a hand to Reid's tricep.

     "Son," he started.

     Oh god, should I leave?

     "I know I haven't been the best father lately, and I hope it's not too late to make amends. I'm not the only one who needs you," His shaky hand reaches out for mine as his eyes never stray from Reid's serenity. I place my dainty hand in his and approach the two men.