THIRTY

"When my time comes aroundLay me gently in the cold dark earthNo grave can hold my body downI'll crawl home to her"—Hozier

Lay me gently in the cold dark earth
No grave can hold my body down
I'll crawl home to her"
—Hozier

     I didn't leave him—not once. It was too painful knowing he would remain unresponsive and alone, who knows what's even going through his mind. I even went to great lengths to move my hospital bed into his room.

     I look over to him; his shaggy caramel hair curls across his forehead, his scar slowly but surely turning into a neutral pink color.

     However, his beautiful skin is turning deathly pale and he's slowly losing weight. I want nothing more than for him to wake up and we can live out our lives together. He doesn't deserve this.

School is the least of my
worries at this point.

     It's been three weeks since the accident, three weeks since I had that terrifying dream of Reid's death, three weeks since we made passionate love.

God, I miss him more than ever.

     "Morning, hermanita." Luis sings through the doorway. "I brought you a muffin!"

     "Luis! Thank god, between you an I," I lean in and he does the same, "hospital food is disgusting."

     He leans away and lets out a boisterous laugh, throwing his head back in the process. His laugh brings a smile to my face and I join him in the laughter.

     Our laughter dies down when a nurse walks in—the same nurse every morning. She takes Reid's temperature, checks his vitals and more but the boys, Philips and I are more weary about what her answer will be. We burn holes into her as she works, watching every move she makes, and she knows it . . . it shows in her actions.

     Everyday we ask the same question:

"well?"

     And everyday her answer remains the same:

"no changes."

     And today is the same. Luis and I let out a disappointed sigh as she rushes out of the room to check other patients.

     "What do you think is going on in there?" Luis breaks the silence, using his index finger to point to his head.

     "I have no idea . . . but knowing Reid, it must be a war." An internal battle of when he finally decides to wake.

     Luis nods as I bite into my muffin. Chocolate fudge with hazelnut chunks makes my tastebuds come to life. This hospital food has made them dormant and unresponsive to the cardboard-like substances they call food.