FIFTEEN

"You, you thought that you were strongerYou're like a glueNo one ever, no one ever provedThat you can claim a whole lot more than INo one ever, no one ever"—Tsar B

You're like a glue
No one ever, no one ever proved
That you can claim a whole lot more than I
No one ever, no one ever"
—Tsar B

REID

     To say I'm mad is an understatement. I'm downright pissed. I race up and down the streets of town, making my way to my house—more like mansion. Jake, Ryder and Luis share the mansion with me. It makes our jobs . . . easier.

     Currently, my father was waiting for me at my house. He has been pestering me for months about the business.

     My father, Jackson Taylor, is the strongest Mafia leader in America . . . as it just so happens to be a family business. Soon, I will take over his position. The stress I'm feeling is immense, whenever he's around I always have to prove myself to him.

     Prove that I can be strong enough to lead.

     I pull into the 12 car garage and park my bike. I slip off my helmet while hopping off the bike. The door opens and Luis pops his head through.

     "Big mans up in your office," He says with wide eyes. All the men were terrified of him, and I don't blame them. If I weren't his son I'd be pissing myself if he spoke to me.

     "Situation?"

     "No telling."

     I sigh and make my way through the house. Climbing up the stairs, I can already hear his voice booming. "Ah, if it isn't my son," He says as I step in my office.

     "Dad. To what do I owe the pleasure?" I ask.

     "Don't sass me boy. I'm here to inform you that I'll be stepping down within the next week," he pauses. "And I believe you are worthy to lead."

     It was at this moment, a whole weight was lifted off my shoulders. I sighed in relief. "Thank you, father."

     "Don't thank me yet, you have lots of preparing to do."

     My face contorts into a baffled expression.  "Preparing? Dad, I've been training for this my—"

     The sound of alarms cut me off. I looked around and fumed. You've got to be kidding me.

     "JAKE!" My voice raises. His head topped with red hair peeks through the door.

     "The mansion is being attacked."

     "And by whom?" My fathers voice boomed in fury.

     "Crystal Reaper."

     I should have been fucking expecting this. The Crystal Reaper is a gang, a rival gang. Ever since we were pronounced the strongest and most cruel, they were initially jealous. They wanted power—and lots of it.