Chapter Eighteen

Zaira

Silence descended into the air around us as Kyoya escorted me to the nurses office. The halls were mostly deserted, but I found myself walking closer to him when we would come across people. The moment they saw us they would start whispering. I couldn’t help the feelings that whipped through me in when it would happen. Kyoya, despite everything, just continued to walk.

Even though he didn’t say a word, standing closer to him made it easier to take.

I couldn’t help but feel suddenly grateful that he would be escorting me after school as well. This was all the information I needed to know that I wouldn’t have been able to get through the halls on my own.

When we reached the nurse’s office, Kyoya paused to make sure I was next to him.

“Th-thank-you,” I muttered, focusing my eyes on his hand as he reached for the door. I knew that if I looked at his face it’d be harder to say. “F-for bringing m-me here, th-that is.”

Kyoya was silent, his hand pausing on the handle. Then, in a tone as soft as mine had been, he replied.

“It wouldn’t have been right for me to leave you there, you’re my responsibility after all.”

His words sent a bit of pain through me, although I didn’t quite understand why. It was the truth, I was his responsibility, if he left me alone he wouldn’t be doing what he was supposed to do. Despite knowing that, however, it hurt.

“Excuse me,” he called out, finally pulling open the door. “Akaike-sensei? Akiyama-sensei?”

As I stepped inside, I caught sight of a dark-haired man sitting at a desk towards the end of the room. When Kyoya called out, he’d looked away from papers on his desk. Recognition immediately appeared in the nurse’s expression and he jumped to his feet.

“Ootori-san,” he greeted, his eyes then looked past Kyoya to me. They widened for a moment in confusion, then I once again saw recognition appear in them. “And Bello-san, what can I do for you?”

I guess that it was pretty easy now to figure that if there was an obviously foreign girl walking around with Kyoya that it was me.

“Zaira isn’t feeling well,” Kyoya replied and I guess it wasn’t a complete lie. “I decided it would be best to bring her here rather than class.”

The nurse immediately offered a bright smile and gestured a hand towards one of the multiple beds in the office.

“Yes, yes, a great decision. She’s free to lay down until she feels better. We wouldn’t want her getting sick.”

So that was what Haruhi had meant when she said that she doubted anyone would turn me away now that I was connected to the Ootori name. I’d expected it, certainly, but it was still a bit shocking. No questions asked. Even if Haruhi had told me I was a bit pale, wasn’t that a bit much?

“Th-thank-you,” I murmured, then glanced from the nurse to Kyoya.

Noticing my look, he gave me a slight nod and turned back around.

“I’ll be heading to class, now. Rest and feel better.”

With those words, he left. The nurse continued to give me an expectant look, so without further ado I approached the bed he’d gestured towards when Kyoya had asked about me staying.

“Do you want me to turn out the lights, Bello-san?” he asked as I laid down.

“No,” I told him immediately, then calmed my voice before continuing. “You have work you need to do, I wouldn’t want to impose.”