January 01 | 00:00

Heart thudding as he waits for the dial ring to stop, Jimin's chest explodes with anticipation just as he hears the phone being picked up.

"Happy New Year hyung!" Jimin wishes, lips wide in a smile.

There's soft laughter from Yoongi's line before Yoongi is saying it back, "Happy New Year to you too, Jimin."

A pause follows, both unsure of what to talk about. Reluctantly, Yoongi suddenly gets hit with an insecurity, voicing it out with Jimin without thinking.

"Hey, Jimin. Why do you still want me as a teacher when you've technically already learnt the piano?"

Jimin is taken aback, eyes a little wide. He hadn't been expecting something like that. It's quite baffling to him, though– because the answer is obvious.

"Hyung, I want you to teach me everything there is to learn– not just what I need enough to play a few songs I want to," he says, the pout heard in his voice. He continues, "And, besides, my mom said I can end them whenever I want. I don't want to, yet."

The silence that follows is the longest and within those seconds, Jimin's thoughts swirl in the speed of light, soon reaching a point of gasping and muttering a low apology.

"Hm?" Yoongi hums, sounding surprised. "Why?"

"Ah, you probably were hindered from these lessons... You're in your third year, too, I'm sorry, hyung. If you want, I can tell my mom that–"

"Wait, wait, wait," Yoongi interrupts, voice breathy of laughter in amusement. "You think I'm troubled by the lessons?"

The weak silence Jimin replies with is an obvious answer of yes.

Heaving a heavy sigh, Yoongi clicks his tongue. "Ah, Jiminie, I don't think you have any idea how much I love teaching you."

Curling up into himself as his cheeks instantly warm, Jimin smiles to himself. "Yeah?"

There's a chuckle from Yoongi before he echoes, "Yeah."

Just a second later, Yoongi asks something else, "Are you in bed?"

"...No."

"Go to bed," Yoongi immediately replies, "Or you'll end up falling asleep somewhere you aren't supposed to."

"Are you in bed?" Jimin asks back, doing just as Yoongi said. His phone were now in full battery, so he could return to the comfortable warmth of his bed.

Yoongi snorts, "Yeah. It's quite comfortable." And, even more comfortable because I'm in your presence (even if it's through telephone) right now.

There's sound of blankets rustling and shuffling, Jimin huffing into the phone when he's tucked in by himself.

Not wanting to keep the line silent, Jimin awkwardly says, "I'm in bed, now."

Yoongi's laughter leaves through his breath before he replies, "Good. That's very good."

Neither of them want to hang up, but also have no clue how to continue the conversation, so there's a brief pause yet again.

"... you know, Jimin? You're the best student I've ever had." Yoongi has no idea what he's doing, but the words are blurred out before he can even think. There's no turning back now. "It's so amazing and honestly inhuman how you've come this far so fast. I swear I've never seen anyone work as hard as you do."

Jimin curls up on the bed, now, flustered and heart pounding, cheeks flushed, grin wide. But without thinking, a yawn escapes, a sudden wave of fatigue washing over him as he mumbles a thank you.

"You're sleepy," Yoongi instantly concludes, perceptive of each sound. "Sleep. Should I hang up?"

Jimin, although halfway sleeping already, stops him, speech slurred with drowsiness. "No, no. Don't hang up. I... like listening... to your voice..."

Now it's Yoongi's then to be a puddle of mush, his heart practically thrown over to Jimin by now.

"Ah... okay... I'll continue talking, then?" He shyly says, flustered.

"Yes please," is Jimin's drunken on sleep response.

And as per the angel's wish, Yoongi just speaks, voice low and comfortable as he talks about anything and everything, soon falling into slumber, too.

They both have the same thought just before the drowsiness takes over.

What a lovely start to the year.