Two Down

Disclaimer: All Fairy Tail Characters Belong to Hiro Mashima, Tiamat is loosely based on Tiamat from Forgotten Realms which Belongs to Wizards of the Coast, LLC. The traits of the chromatic dragons have been altered to match the dragon slayers in the Fairy Tail Universe. Drakan belongs to Surreal Software.

Chapter 25: Two Down

Zeref quickly distanced himself from Natsu as he released his spell and made his exit. When he had decided to come to Tartaros to take back the book of E.N.D. he had expected a quick trip. He had not been prepared for the possibility of encountering his brother and as such he had not been able to keep his emotions from bursting through his usual apathetic facade. He'd had 400 years to get used to the fact that his brother had no recollection of him. So why was it every time he saw him it still hurt the same as the first time?

After his family had died, Zeref dedicated years of his life to bringing his brother back from the dead. He had damned himself in the process but he had done it willingly, even desperately. He would have done anything for his brother. The fact that Natsu would not even look at him once he succeeded was a slap to the face. He had tried everything he could think of to get through to him. All he had ever wanted was to see that smile again. The one that told Zeref that he was Natsu's whole world. Nothing worked. Natsu just sat there staring at the wall. Not talking, not eating, not sleeping. At first, he thought that he had failed again but when he took him to see Igneel Natsu had finally shown some interest. Zeref had rushed him home in excitement only to see Natsu return to the same catatonic state as before. Zeref became angry, and violent. Some of the magics he had learned to reach his goal were dark and dangerous and in his despair he let them overwhelm him. He attacked his brother over and over mercilessly and to his consternation Natsu finally turned to look at him, his little body bloody but his face smiling. He held his arms out waiting for the final blow.

The shock of that sight had been enough to bring Zeref back to himself. He had run out of the house and into the woods. He didn't know what to do. It was now clear to him that Natsu did not want to live. Zeref had to come to terms with the fact that even though he had told himself all these years that he was doing everything for Natsu, it had always really been for himself. He sought out Igneel and they came to an agreement. He returned home and tended to Natsu's wounds. The following day Zeref dropped him off with Igneel and buried himself in his work. He visited them a month later. As he talked with Igneel, Natsu had run out of their cave a with a big smile on his face. Zeref had been overjoyed until Natsu stopped shyly in front of him and asked who he was.

Zeref forced himself to stop thinking about the past and focus on his current goal, getting his hands on the book of E.N.D. While he admired their initiative his demons were getting very close to interfering with his plans. He made his way through the castle using his senses to find the unique signature of the book. He stopped in front of a door that was more ornate than the rest. He opened it and made his way inside. There was a lone figure sitting on a throne hands clutching a book to their chest.

"Hello Mard Geer, it's been a long time."

The figure looked up startled out of his thoughts "Lord Zeref, you are here!"

"You have something that belongs to me, I would like it returned.", Zeref said calmly pointing at the book in the demon's arms.

"We have set plans in motion to resurrect E.N.D and bring you the peace you desire.", Mard Geer said, excitement palpable in his voice, "I was about to cast a curse that would take care of those guild wizards so that we may continue."