Spellfire

Disclaimer: All Fairy Tail Characters Belong to Hiro Mashima, Tiamat is loosely based on Tiamat from Forgotten Realms which Belongs to Wizards of the Coast, LLC. The traits of the chromatic dragons have been altered to match the dragon slayers in the Fairy Tail Universe. Drakan belongs to Surreal Software.

Chapter 29: Spellfire

Igneel had been ignoring Kai for what felt to him like a long time. He had been watching whatever had been going on outside intently. He began to pace back and forth snarling under his breath "He's coming. But is it the right time?".

"What's going on?", Kai asked. He looked at Igneel nervously, "The right time for what?"

The red dragon looked at his grandson and made up his mind. "Kai, the time has come for me to destroy Acnologia once and for all."

In a softer tone he added, "I have to go."

"Grandfather, no!", Kai exclaimed with more than a hint of panic to his voice.

"We both knew this day was coming, youngling. I've taught you everything I can. The rest will be up to you. When you're born your father will take care of you, but you should also take care of him, ok?"

Kai nodded solemnly. His little eyes scrunched up as he tried to hold back his tears.

"We'll see each other again. If not in this world in the Dragon Eyrie."

Igneel looked at the little boy trying to act brave for his sake and his heart just about burst. He felt confident Kai would be ok. He turned his attention back to what was happening outside. He noticed Natsu's distress just as he felt a strange magic entering the Astral Plane where they had taken residence and heard Kai's whimpers.

He quickly checked on the little boy and his blood began to boil as he saw a portal had appeared. A large phantasmal hand had wrapped itself around Kai's body. It was pulling him towards the open door.

"Kai!", Igneel yelled trying to figure out what to do, "Can you unmake your form like last time?"

Kai struggled against the hand that encased him and although his whole body flickered briefly the hand held him firm.

"I-I can't", Kai grunted.

Igneel grabbed Kai and pulled with all his might, ignoring the child's discomfort. He managed to weaken the hold the hand had on his grandson and he threw Kai behind him as he faced the portal.

"Fly away!"

"What's happening?!", Kai screeched as he shifted into his dragon form in mid air and flew further away.

"You don't have to worry about it, I'll take care of it." Igneel allowed the groping hand to take him. He knew who would be waiting for him on the other side. He braced himself and grimaced. Surely there would be enough time to deal with this unexpected situation before Acnologia arrived.