Human Again

I watched the Singetail that took Autumn fly away. Autumn! I raced over the sea, but I couldn't see her. I flew in a wobble over the waves and from one island to another, but I couldn't find my beloved sister. It was getting dark now and I needed to get home. I was filled with sadness, but there was nothing more I could do. I decided I would set out again later. Suddenly a blue Hideous Zippleback flew past me and gasped. It held out its wings and stopped. "You're a Night Fury!" The Zippleback said in excitement. "You can talk?" I asked in amazement, "oh gosh, I can talk!" "Wow, I never thought I'd see such a rare dragon in person! My name is WaterWing" the Zippleback told me. "Oh I'm, uh, Destiny" I told the dragon. "Destiny... that doesn't sound like a dragon name at all" WaterWing said with a small growl. "All dragon names are matched with their dragon and have a meaning which represents their dragon nature. For example WaterWing, StarrySky, CloudWhisk and so on..." WaterWing informed me. "Well my name is DestinyDust!" I said thinking of the first thing I could. The Zippleback lowered his head and whispered "my mistake" before flying away.

I landed on the cliff edge and, for the first time, wondered what in Thor's name I was going to do now. 'Maybe I can change back?' I thought. I tried and tried, but I couldn't figure out how to change back into a human. I started getting really nervous and worried. I quickly became frustrated. I growled with annoyance and used my tail to slap a branch which bounced back and hit me in the face. I growled again and ripped the branch down. I was now extremely annoyed and simply wanted to be human again. Then I felt that tingly feeling. When my vision cleared I found myself standing on my hands and knees. I stood up properly and nearly fell over. Four legs were much easier than two. I looked in a nearby puddle and sure enough I was a human again. It was night now and I heard the villagers attacking dragons in the distance.

I reached the village and an axe was thrown at me. I caught it by the handle and looked up to see my stepfather. "Better get training!" My stepfather said in his rough voice. I glared at him. A purple Deadly Nadder flew past us and my stepfather quickly threw a net over her. I realised I could atomically tell which gender the dragons were. The Nadder squawked in fear as my stepfather drew out his axe. "No!" I yelled at my father. "Why not?!" My stepfather yelled back at me with a glare. "She doesn't deserve this!" I said as I ran past him and cut lose the net. "Go, be free" I whispered as I pulled the net off of the Nadder. The Nadder purred and flew away. I turned around and saw my stepfather was fuming with anger and confusion. "Destiny, Autumn, come help me in the kitchen" I heard my mother call. I left my stepfather behind and ran into the house. "No! I will not have you stamping in my house with those muddy boots of yours!" Mother yelled me. I looked behind me and saw a trail of dirt. I groaned and took off my boots.

I was handed a knife by mother and I started cutting mushrooms. "Where is Autumn?" Mother asked. Tears immediately gathered in my eyes and clouded my vision. "What happened?" Mother asked gently as she sat me down at the table. "A Singletail picked up Autumn and carried her away. It's all my fault!" I cried. "No, Destiny. This is not your fault" mother said as she hugged me. Stepfather walked through the door and saw mother hugging me while I cried. "What happened now?" My stepfather asked. "Autumn got carried off by a Singetail..." mother said weakly. "No, poor Autumn! Oh Destiny, I'm so sorry..." stepfather said as he came over and joined in the group hug. After awhile I pulled away and wiped the tears from my eyes. We all started eating our soup in silence. "Now do you see why you should kill dragons? They are horrible and dangerous! I shall kill every Singetail for what they did to Autumn and I suggested you do the same!" Stepfather roared. I glared at him, but said nothing. "I don't think this is quite the right time dear" mother said softly. By this time I was finished with my soup so I put my bowl in the sink and headed towards the stairs. "I'm going to bed" I told my parents. "Good idea, get some rest before dragon training starts tomorrow!" My stepfather said. I let out a small groan as I headed upstairs. I entered my room and jumped onto my bed. I lay on my bed staring at the wooden ceiling. 'What even am I?' I wondered. I had somehow changed, no, shifted into a dragon. I wasn't a human, but I also wasn't a dragon either. I was a dragon shifter. Or at least that's what I finally decided to call myself. But this was my secret and only I could know. So much had happened today and the dragon trials started tomorrow. How could I fight dragons when I had become one? I took a deep breath, shut my eyes and somehow fell asleep.