Deadly As The Night

I raced out of the arena. Dragon training had finally ended and I couldn't wait to search for Autumn again. "Wait up!" Aaron called. I turned around and saw everyone heading towards me. "How did you do that?" Zac asked. "Do what?" I asked blandly. "The Gronckle turned around and blasted me instead of you. Why? You heard my dad, dragons should always go for the kill!" Aaron yelled at me. "I didn't do anything, I guess the dragon just realised who was in charge... and you were an easier target" I said with a shrug. I turned around and walked away. Aaron grunted in frustration and headed the other way with everyone following him, apart from April. April turned and ran after me. "Hey Destiny..." April said shyly. "Oh hi April" I said. "I heard about Autumn, I'm sorry to hear that" April said. "Oh thanks April" I said as I smiled at her. "You did really well in dragon training, I wish I could be like that..." April told me. "I bet you can. Maybe tomorrow you'll have a better day" I told her. April smiled. "You know, dragons aren't really that bad... If you don't upset a dragon, it won't go after you. You just need to understand them and show no harm. Maybe my understanding saved me today" I suggested. "Hmm, you could be right. I'll try that tomorrow... thanks!" April smiled.

As we walked I realised I didn't know much about April, in fact, no one did. April was always very shy and chose to be on her own, same as me I guess. She was actually nice and I enjoyed her company back to the village. "Well I better get home, see you tomorrow?" April asked. "See you then" I told her. April smiled and walked towards her house. I however, had other plans. I snuck away into the forest to see if I could master my dragon side, as I liked to call it, and go to search for Autumn. But I didn't know how to turn into a dragon again... I thought back to the first time I had shifted into a dragon and remembered that I had been furious. And when I had changed back into a human I had been sad and confused. "Maybe it's about emotions" I said aloud as a spark of hope lit up inside me. I focused really hard on feeling as angry as possible. I tried and tried, but nothing was happening. I became frustrated and stamped my foot on the ground, but still nothing happened! Finally I gave up and sat down with my legs tucked under my chin. I felt tears in my eyes as I realised how much I missed Autumn. Then I felt the familiar tingly feeling. I thought about becoming a Night Fury and when I looked at my back I saw a tail and pair of black wings. "I did it!" I chirped happily. I spread my wings and leapt into the air. My tail fins clicked and I flew up into the clear blue sky.

I flew over the waves and spotted a small island up ahead. I reached what was simply a pile of rocks and scouted it, but there was no sign of Autumn. I flew to another island, but still didn't find my sister. It was long flight over the waves and visiting a little islands as I looked for my sister. Finally I flew back and landed in the forest. I tried to feel angry again, but once more nothing happened. Then I realised my anger wasn't real, I was just pretending to feel angry. So I started focusing about how I really felt. I was worried about Autumn and I was hungry, if that counts. Sure enough, I became human. "This is amazing!" I said happily. It was still light so I decided to continue searching. I focused on my feelings once again and as I was shifting I saw a Deadly Nadder in the distance. 'Gosh they really are amazing dragons!' I thought as I watched it dive down from the clouds. Once the tingling had gone I looked at my back. But this time I had midnight blue wings, a long spiky tail and I was standing on my two back legs. I looked in a nearby puddle and saw a round face with spines on the top of my head and a kind of beak for a mouth. I was a Deadly Nadder! I opened my wings and lifted into the air. After hovering for a few seconds I landed and another thought entered my mind. 'Does this mean I can change into any dragon?' I focused on my emotions and this time when I felt the tingling I thought about a Gronckle. When I looked at my back I had brown wings and a lumpy tail. I had become a Gronckle. 'This is amazing!' I thought to myself in excitement.

I flew through the sky as a Deadly Nadder again, continuing my search. Suddenly, out of nowhere, a cloud of dragons flew towards me. I swerved right and watched them all dive down towards my village. "Here come the dragons!" Shouted a voice from the village. "Ready the weapons, the fight begins" shouted another voice. I watched in dismay as several dragons fell down to the ground. 'Maybe I can go and help everyone' I thought as I dived towards my village. I blasted a net with my magnesium fire and the Thunderdrum flew away. I darted around my village saving both dragons and humans and trying to keep as much peace as I could. Luckily I had the advantage of knowing the village, the people and the weapons. I spotted my stepfather who was about to behead a Zippleback. I dived down and shot a spike from my tail which hit his axe and knocked it out of his hands. My stepfather screamed at me, screaming would normally scare away a dragon, but not me! Plus, I was used to being screamed at. I hissed at him and landed by the Zippleback. I pulled off the net and hopped back into the air. As I turned to fly away I heard a cry for help. I looked back and saw the Zippleback lunge at April. I dived down and landed in front of April with my wings spread out above me. I hissed at the Zippleback and told him to go away. The Zippleback growled, but turned around and left. I folded my wings and looked at April. "Destiny was right, you're not as bad as they say... thank you" April said. I nodded and chirped then flew away.

The sun started rising and I knew the fight would soon be over. The other dragons started to leave and I decided to scout over the island one last time. I neared the end of the island and was relieved to see that hardly any lives had been lost that night. I chirped happily to myself and looked at the misty village. I was so caught up in my thoughts that I didn't see the net until I was inside it. I tried to blast open the net, but I had reached my shot limit. I landed heavily on the hard ground and glared at my capturer. Aaron grinned.