A Break For Freedom

I turned and looked at the two Razorwhips who were roaming around the arena. The hunters and guards had gone with Gunnar and girls. Since the arena was claimed to be unbreakable, it didn't need to be guarded. I decided I would put theory that to the test. I flew over the arena, just to double check that no one was around, then I landed by the metal gate and shifted into a human. The gate was, as expected, locked. I ran my hand over the ground and felt something cold and sharp against my fingers. I picked up a long, lose piece of metal, it must have fallen from the gate. Well, whatever it was, it would do. I placed it inside the lock and jiggled it about until I heard the satisfying "click" meaning the door was now open. I opened the gate and shifted back into my light green Singetail.

I made sure the gate looked shut from the outside before running into the arena. "Hey, it's the dragon from earlier!" The rainbow Razorwhip said. "It is indeed!" I said as I trotted over to them both. "How did you get in here?" The dark grey dragon asked. "You wouldn't believe me if I told you" I murmured. "So... do you know what's going on? Because we have no clue." "Well Gunnar, the fierce man that shouts a lot, he's the leader of the dragon hunters and wants your humans to teach him to fly dragons. The big red Singetail, FireFang, is his dragon and will do anything he asks. FireFang leads a pack of Singetails, who are all controlled by the hunters. I used to have a high position in that pack, but after an... incident I became the runt" I explained. "You're the runt?" The colourful dragon asked. "Yep" I sighed. "I would never believe that. I would think you were the alpha" the other dragon said. "Really?" I asked. "Totally! You should take over." "Oh, I would, but I have other plans" I said. "Like what?" They asked. "Getting you two out of here" I replied.

"Hey, I never got your names" I mentioned. "Oh right, I'm RainbowFlash" said the rainbow Razorwhip. "And I'm SmokeDrip" the dark grey male told me. "I'm JadeScale." I took a deep breath then continued. "Okay I'm about to tell you something crazy that no one knows, but you have to promise to keep it a secret" I said with a deep breath. "I promise" both dragons told me. I let out a sigh, debating if I should trust them. But then again, they were dragons, who could they tell? And so told them about being human, losing Autumn, leaving Mistdell and everything with the pack, Kai and the hunters.

"What? My Autumn is your sister?" SmokeDrip gasped. "And you can really turn into a human?" RainbowFlash asked. "Shift and yes" I told them. "Well you've found Autumn so what's your plan now?" SmokeDrip asked. "I'm going to get you and the girls off this island, it's way too dangerous for them to help Gunnar and I don't like it. But now we're just wasting time. It won't be long before FireFang sends out a search party for me. I just need to get you two and your humans to safety" I explained. "So what now?" SmokeDrip said. "Keep quite and follow my lead" I said as I turned around and flew to the gate.

I pushed the gate open with my snout and we all exited the arena. I flew over to the campsite and spotted a small tent next to Gunnar's huge one. "They'll be in there" I whispered as I pointed my tail at the tent. "What now?" SmokeDrip asked. "I'm going to need to get them off the island without anybody realising, which is going to be really hard since there are guards and Singetails everywhere. And for that I'm going to need to be able to talk to them. I'm going to shift into a human. I'll get them to those woods over there and that's where we'll meet you two. It's going to be really hard for them to take that I'm a dragon shifter so I won't tell them until we're somewhere safe. Which means I'll need to ride with one of you, preferably SmokeDrip and Autumn. So please just treat me like a normal human that you trust" I said. "Okay, we've got it, don't worry" SmokeDrip reassured me. "Meet you in the woods" RainbowFlash added as she turned in that direction. "See you there" I said as I watched them fly away.

I landed gently on the ground and shifted into my human self. I took a deep breath then tiptoed over to the small tent. I heard both girls quietly talking and loud snoring coming from Gunnar's tent. I carefully opened the flap of the tent and crawled inside. Autumn and Runa had their backs turned to me as they talked to each other. A wave of happiness and relief washed over. Autumn was there, right in front of me! But I had to get them away from the camp first. I bent forward and before either of them could do anything, I covered their mouths with my hands. Runa struggled about, but I kept her under control. Autumn looked up at me and her eyes glowed. "Destiny!" Autumn shouted, although it sounded more like a mumble through my hand. "Shhh, be quite, both of you!" I hissed at them. They nodded and I uncovered their mouths. "Is this your sister who you were telling me about?" Runa asked in a whisper as she scowled at me. Autumn nodded and hugged me. I held her tight in my arms. Tears gathered at the bottom of my eyes. A rush of joy and adrenaline ran through me. "Listen, we don't have much time. I need to get both of you and your dragons off this island, it's way too dangerous for you to help the dragon hunters. Just be very quite and follow me" I whispered to them. Both girls nodded and started putting things in their backpacks.

We quietly slipped out of the tent and tiptoed through the campsite. I led them over to the forest and we walked through the trees. "How did you find us? And how did you know about everything?" Autumn asked. "It's a long story... I'll explain everything once we're somewhere safe" I told them. "So who are you?" I asked Runa, although I already knew her name. "I'm Runa" she told me. When I didn't respond she asked with annoyance "and you?" "I'm Destiny, Autumns older sister" I replied. "Runa has looked after me all this time, she's a great friend!" Autumn said with innocent happiness. She was clearly unaware of the tension between me and her friend. I didn't like Runa very much, it felt like she was stealing Autumn from me. And I didn't trust her. I hid my annoyance and judgment of Runa with a smile. Soon I spotted the two Razorwhips up ahead. SmokeDrip and RainbowFlash ran over and rubbed their heads against the two girls. "Firefly, hey girl!" Runa said with a grin. "Eclipse! Oh, I missed you" Autumn said as she hugged his neck. "A lot has changed" I said as I watched Autumn, who nodded. She seemed... more grown up. "Okay this way!" I said as I started running through the trees. The sky was starting to get lighter already. I heard the others following behind me, but I was still far ahead. Suddenly someone grabbed me. I was shoved up against a tree. Then my mouth was covered with what felt like a cloth.