The Base

After a day of me flying behind it, the ship arrived at an island. The hunters base. The island had large rocks pointing up all over the place and it almost looked messy. By the time the ship arrived at the island it was evening. The ship pulled into a small dock and the leader commanded his men to sort out the dragons, but he insisted on taking the Singetail to the arena. I decided the follow Gunnar. He walked up a narrow wooden path from the dock up to the arena. He entered the arena and walked over to a large metal gate. The arena was a round dome made of out grey rusty metal. I heard growling. Then a sudden burst of flames came through the metal from the other side of the gate and nearly hit Gunnar. The leader simply grinned and pulled himself on the top of the metal gate. He glanced at the hunter who stood by a lever. The hunter let out a little scream and held onto the handle. My attention turned to two hunters watching from the top of the arena. "Any idea who takes over when this thing kills him?" One of the hunters asked. "I suppose it'd be a vote. That seems like the most logical thing" the other hunter replied. "Still, seems like old Gunnar is a little crazy, trying to control the Singetails by force and become their master" the first hunter said and the other man nodded in agreement. I looked back at Gunnar, he nodded at the hunter. Then he jumped down from the metal gate. I flew higher and hovered in the sky so I could see what was going on. The leader landed on the back of the light green Singetail and grabbed onto two spikes on its back. The Singetail roared and reared up on its back legs.

The hunter pulled down the handle of the lever, the metal gate opened and a burst of flames came out of it. The Singetail dashed into the open arena with the leader still on it's back. The Singetail had a flame held in its mouth. It jumped all over the place, trying to get the man off of its back. Gunnar simply laughed as he held on tightly. He took out a whip and started beating the dragon. It leapt into the air and blasted some fire at the two men watching. "Yes!" Gunnar grinned. The Singetail landed back on the ground and looked around the arena with its 360° vision, then its eyes closed in defeat. Gunnar turned the head of the Singetail to the left and hit it with the whip. The dragon grunted and ran left as the leader commanded.

The next day was spent as a snooze. When I woke up it was nightfall. Tents were pitched up all around the clearing, torches were lit and a big bonfire crackled in the middle of the campsite. The hunters went about their business, moving boxes and checking on the caged dragons. Then I heard a nervous chuckle and a new voice. "So you see, Gunnar, sir, it was impossible to have seen what was coming." I spotted a pale man with a band over his right eye following Gunnar towards a large tent. "Impossible you say?" Gunnar asked as he pulled open the flap of the tent and stepped inside, with the hunter behind him. "I think there will be a setback. The Ice Tail Pike are essential to our training program. Unlike you!" Gunnar said as he glared at the man and disappeared inside the tent. The man followed. I shifted into a small Terrible Terror and flew closer to the tent so I could see inside. Gunnar and the pale man were stood leaning over a map that was laid out on a table in front of them. "Failures have no place in my army. The bar must remain at its highest!" Gunnar said as he looked at the guards by the tent entrance. "I'd throw him down a Whispering Death hole. But that's just me" one of the guards suggested. The hunter gasped and looked nervous. "Relax. There will be no Whispering Death hole for you..." Gunnar said as he walked over and put a hand on the hunters shoulder, then he wondered back over to the table. "... if I did that I wouldn't get to see you suffer. And that would take all the fun out of it" Gunnar said. He clapped his hands together. "No! Come on. No, no!" The hunter cried as the two guards came forward and started dragging him away. Gunnar simply grinned.