The Last Battle - Part 1

"Y-You.... You can change into a human?!" FireFang gasped at me. The other Singetails growled. "And any species of dragon" I added as I took a step backwards. "Kill her!" FireFang yelled. "Escape while you have the chance! I'll hold them off!" Fireball told me as he stepped forwards. The Singetails leapt forwards. I opened my wings to fly away, but I hesitated. 'No more running' I thought to myself. "Wait!" I called out as I held up all wings. The Singetails paused. "FireFang, I challenge you to a battle. Whoever wins takes control of this whole island and everyone on it!" I said. FireFang growled. I knew I had put him in a difficult position. If he agreed he might lose everything, but if he didn't accept the challenge it was a sign of weakness and he wouldn't be feared or respected. "Fine, I accept!" FireFang growled as he took a step forwards "let's get this over with." "Oh, you want to battle now? And here?" I asked in surprise. "Yes... Why?" "Well it's just that I can shift into any dragon. I thought you might want some time to prepare or to choose a location that gives you a little more chance. Really the only thing that could possibly stop me would be human traps" I smirked. I watched FireFang and waited for him to catch on. "I'm bringing Gunnar!" He said suddenly. "Oh what? How is that fair?" I asked and acted as scared and surprised as I could pretend to. I didn't want FireFang to find out I wanted this. "Yes, me and Gunnar versus you! Just us three, no one else. And we meet on the nearest island to the west" FireFang told me proudly. I faked a sigh then nodded. "Fine, we'll do it your way. Fetch Gunnar and I'll meet you there" I said. "This is war" FireFang snarled. I nooded in agreement.

FireFang turned to his Singetails. "I want a group of you to stay here and keep an eye on her. Don't attack unless they try anything. And make sure she gets to the island!" He commanded. The Singetails nodded and assembled a small group. FireFang left with the rest of the pack. The small group settled down not too far away and watched me.

I decided they weren't too much of a threat and shifted into a human. I turned to Kai. "FireFang ordered me to be killed, but I challenged him to one last fight. I'm going to meet him and Gunnar at the nearest island to the west. Whoever wins takes control of this place. It's war" I told Kai. "But... you lost last time you fought for your freedom" Kai said with concern. "I have to try. Besides I can shift now so I have an advantage" I replied. "Me and Fireball will go with you!" Kai said and Fireball nodded with a determined grunt. "No, it's too dangerous. Besides, this is my battle, not yours" I said stubbornly. "We can help you" Kai told me. Fireball purred in agreement and nudged my arm with his snout. I smiled and placed a hand on Kai's shoulder. "I just found my brother, I can't lose you now" I said softly. Kai smiled and finally agreed to stay. I hugged Kai and we said goodbye, just in case something did go wrong. "I need to go now" I said as I started shifting into a Singetail. "At least let me come, I can help you" Fireball protested. "No, you need to look after Kai, no matter what happens" I said. Fireball sighed, but nodded. I pressed my head against Fireball's as a goodbye. The group of Singetails stood up and approached me. "I'm going to the island" I said. They nodded and followed me.

I flew swiftly over the waves and found the island. It was a simple beach with caves. I flew around the island, mapping it out. Then I landed on the white sand and waited for FireFang to arrive. The Singetails turned around and flew back to the base. Soon after I had landed I heard wingbeats. I looked up at the sky and saw Gunnar riding FireFang. "This certainly isn't good" I muttered. FireFang landed on the ground and huffed at me. "What is it reptile?" Gunnar asked. FireFang growled at me and I snarled back. "Oh, you want to fight, do ya?!" Gunnar asked me with an evil smirk. Gunnar held a whip in front of FireFang then pointed it at the sky. FireFang leapt into the air and flew wherever Gunnar pointed the whip. I watched them and an idea formed in my mind.

I spread my wings and leapt into the air. FireFang blasted me with fire, but I kept flying towards him. As I was in front of FireFang's face I dived down and dodged a fireball. I flew upwards and bashed into his belly. FireFang growled and started losing his balance. I swung my head into his belly again. Then I flew up to his neck and bashed my head into it. A small horn on my snout pierced the tip of his scales and FireFang fell down. He quickly regained his balance and flew back up towards me, but Gunnar had fallen down onto the beach, right where I wanted him.

I dived down and landed on the sand in front of Gunnar. "Reptile!" Gunnar called. FireFang starting diving towards us. Gunnar pointed the whip at me and a fireball landed on my back. I turned and started chasing Gunnar towards the caves. He ran into one and I followed him. Once inside the cave, I blasted the rocks at the top of the entrance which fell to the ground and blocked us inside just before FireFang reached us. I could hear FireFang screeching in frustration outside.

I faced Gunnar and shifted into my human self. "W-what in Thor's name just happened?!" Gunnar asked as he turned white. "Oh yes, allow me to explain, I'm Destiny the Dragon Shifter." I told him. Gunnar's face was covered in thought. "D-Destiny?" He asked. "Oh so you do remember the name of your daughter" I smirked. "It can't be!" Gunnar said with fear. I took the bracelet from my belt and threw it to Gunnar. He caught it and gasped. "All these years I wondered who G.R. was and why he would just abandon his family... I had many ideas that I played out in my mind, but I would have never thought that Gunnar Rockblossom would leave his family to become a dragon hunter!" I hissed at him. "That's not what happened..." Gunnar said and I could see him shaking. "My father disappeared without a trace for no reason at all!" I snapped at him. "No! I left because the chief sold me to the dragon hunters!" Gunnar yelled. I waited for him to continue. "The village was low on money when you were a child and your sister was only a baby. I was a master dragons trapper from years of hunting the dragons who attacked Mistdell. The chief kidnapped me and sold me to the hunters for enough money to save the village. I was the hunter's slave. One day I decided I'd had enough. I took over the hunters and became their new leader. I never chose to leave" Gunnar explained. "If you were kidnapped how did you leave me a bracelet?!" I hissed. "They has been made before I was shipped off so I asked the chief to give them to your mother. He agreed and I just had to trust he would give them to her" Gunnar replied. I looked into Gunnar's brown, merciful eyes.

Suddenly I heard a loud screech and saw FireFang trying to squeeze through a hole in the roof of the cave. I remembered what I was here to do. I stepped forwards. "Well father..." I staid sarcastically. "...I'll take that!" I finished as I snatched the whip out of Gunnar's hands. I snapped the whip in half and threw it in a rock pool where it sank. Gunnar almost growled and FireFang stopped. Just like the papers had said, without the whip Gunnar had no control. FireFang's attention would now be fully on defeating me. I shifted into a Singetail and flew towards FireFang, leaving my startled birth father trapped in the cave.