Back At The Base

"What? No way!" Runa said with shock. "H-how?" Autumn barely managed to say. "Look at the initials on our bracelets and the writing on Gunnar's box!" I said. Both Autumn and Runa looked then gasped. Autumn turned white. "H-he can't be!" Autumn whimpered. "He is! Ugh, how did I not realise that?!" I said as I rested my face in my hands. My eyes widened as I realised something else. "And that means Kai is our brother!"

We sat in silence and after the shock had somewhat passed I stood up. "What are you doing?" Runa asked. "I'm leaving. I need to find Kai and put an end to this dragon hunting!" I replied. "You can't just leave. Not after this!" Runa told me as she also stood up. I sighed and knelt down next to Autumn. I wrapped my arms around my little sister and hugged her. "I know this is a lot to process, but I have to go. This is bigger than us. You are strong enough for this. I'll be back for you, I promise" I whispered in Autumns ear. I pulled away from her. Autumn nodded and just about managed a smile. I stood up and walked over to Runa. "Look after her for me" I said. "I will. But you can't be serious, just leaving like this?" Runa said. "Look I'm sorry. I know it's not a good time, but I need to go" I said. Runa glanced at Autumn. "It's fine, you can go" Autumn said to us. Runa sighed. "Just be carful. I'll look after her for you" Runa reassured me. I nodded and shifted into a Night Fury. I turned to the two Razorwhips. "Look after them" I grunted. "We will" Eclipse grinned. I picked up the little black box in my mouth and purred before leaping off of the ledge and flying towards the gap in the tunnels.

I raced over the ocean with Hole Island not far behind me. Suddenly a figure appeared in front of me. I realised it was FireFang! I shifted into a Singetail as FireFang raced over to me and puffed smoke from his nostrils. "Where have you been, runt?" He asked. "Now that's a funny story..." I mumbled, I did have a box in my mouth after all. "Where did you get that?!" FireFang snarled at me. "I, er, found it floating in the waves" I said as I quickly made up an excuse. "That's Gunnar's, he's out now looking for it!" FireFang growled as he laid eyes on the black box in my mouth. FireFang sniffed me and hissed. "You smell of humans! You helped them escape!" FireFang yelled at me. "No sir..." I said softly. "I want you dead! Kill her!" FireFang yelled. Suddenly blasts of fire rained down on me. I looked up and saw a group Singetails, who I hadn't even noticed. FireFang lunged at me. I dived left and flew straight towards the sea. I could feel the heat from the flame in FireFang's mouth at my tail as I dived. Finally I reached the waves and plunged underwater. I swam far down and looked back up to see FireFang and the rest of the Singetails fly back to the surface.

I shifted into a Thunderdrum and began to swam back to the hunters base. I reached the island and glided near the surface of the water. I heard some bubbles popping and looked to my right. I nearly jumped out of the water as I saw Fireball gliding next to me. I swam to the surface and turned to my friend. "Fireball? What are you doing here?" I asked. "Destiny?" Fireball asked. "Yes!" I told him happily. "I was patrolling the island and spotted you. It's not often that Thunderdrums come to this island so I decided to investigate" Fireball told me. I grinned, but there was an awkward silence. "Hey, I'm sorry about what happened when we tried to escape" I said, I hadn't really seen him since. "So am I" Fireball told me. "I just didn't want to become a runt, but I should have stood up for you." I smiled, then continued with the serious talk. "FireFang has ordered me to be killed so I need to meet with Kai and come up with a plan, but I could really use a friend" I said. "I'm in!" Fireball grinned.

We landed amongst the trees, but there was no sign of Kai. I looked at the sky, it was getting dark. "He'll come soon" I told Fireball as I dropped the box on the ground. "Fireball!" Came the happiest cry I had ever heard. I turned around and saw Kai racing towards us. He reached us and wrapped his arms around his dragon. I took the time to shift into a human. Kai's face light up. "Destiny! Thank Thor you're okay! Where have you been? I've come here every evening and waited for you to come back" Kai said. "I'm fine and the others are safely hidden on an island" I said. "That's great!" Kai smiled, but he smile soon faded as he saw my face remained serious. "What's happened?" He asked. "I found out some pretty shocking news" I said. Kai waited for me to continue. I took the bracelet from my belt and handed it to Kai. "My birth father left that for me before he left our island without a trace. On the biggest leaf are his initials..." I told Kai. Kai turned over the leaf and muttered "G.R.? But these are my fathers initials, Gunnar Rockblossom." I waited. "He can't be..." Kai said as he turned white. "Kai, you're my brother" I said. Kai gulped and Fireball gasped.

"Hey, that's my father's. Um, I mean our father's" Kai said as he pointed at the black box. "I found it hidden on his ship, it's filled with notes" I explained. "Is there anything that can help us?" Kai asked. I opened the box and scanned through the papers, then I picked out two. "Dragon Weaknesses" I said I started reading out loud. "Singetails do not the like fog or high altitude. Their neck can sometimes be a weak spot. The Skrill is the Singetails' natural predator and can neutralise their fire." The rest of the writing seemed useless as it was unrelated to Singtails. I started reading the second paper. "Training The Singetails. To train a Singetail you must be in charge. I beat my Singetail with a whip so that he fears it. Now whoever hold the whip is in charge." I looked up. Now it all made sense. Gunnar always held a whip at FireFang and he would always obey.

Fireball nudged me and I could see he wanted to say something. "Fireball wants to tell me something, hang on" I told Kai as I shifted into a Singetail. Kai nodded and started reading some of the other notes from the box. I heard gaps and a loud growl from behind me. I turned around and saw FireFang and all the other Singetails. Then I realised that not only did they want me dead, but now they also knew my secret.