Chapter Twenty-Six

Kane awoke to a tap on the shoulder. He opened his eyes and was faced with a very confused five-year-old. Grace stood beside the bed with her head tilted towards him. "Why are you in Heath's bed?" she asked.

Kane rubbed his eyes. He had to think for a moment to remember why exactly he was in Heath's bed. The memories from the night before came barrelling to the forefront of his mind and his eyes shot open. He sat up quickly. He had kissed Mason. His lips had almost made their way into a smile until the vivid memories of Nora's screams filled his mind.

"Where's Heath?" Grace asked. She pulled on the edge of his covers.

Kane swung his legs down off the side of the bed. "He's asleep on the couch," he told her. "How about we go jump on him?"

Grace nodded in all seriousness. She was already running down the stairs by the time Kane made it to the door. He couldn't help but laugh when he heard Heath grunt. Serves him right, he thought. By the time he made it down the stairs, Heath was standing next to the couch, swinging around with Grace in his arms. Heath was laughing as he tickled her. "How dare you wake the tickle monster!"

Grace's laugh filled the room. "I'm sorry! It was Kane's idea!" she screamed.

Heath threw her gently on the couch before running towards Kane. Kane dodged him. "Slow down there, tickle monster! I'm sure you've got a headache to nurse."

Heath shrugged. "A little but it will be gone soon. Werewolf metabolism, hey?" he reached out to give Kane a hi-five, but Kane just laughed at him.

"Idiot metabolism, more like it," he responded.

"Oh, good one, that was a real burn," Heath joked. "I'm going to have a shower."

Heath ran up the stairs.

Kane turned to his sister. "Cartoons?"

Grace nodded undoubtedly. "Cartoons."

He grabbed the remote and nodded at her to sit down. He found some cartoon about dogs saving the world and ruffled her hair as he walked past. "I'll grab you some toast."

Kane made two extra pieces of toast and put them on another plate. He handed one to Grace as he walked past. "Are the parent's still asleep?" he asked her.

Grace nodded but her eyes didn't leave the screen. She bit into her toast.

Kane made his way up the stairs. His steps were slow. He paused for a moment before opening his door and took a deep breath. He didn't know if Nora would even be talking to him today, after the events of the night before. When he gained the courage, he turned the nob. He had expected Nora to still be asleep, but she was sitting on the edge of his bed with tears running down her face and something denim in her hands.

"Nora," he said, "Are you feeling okay?" He placed the plate on his desk and walked over to her. "Does your head still hurt?"

Nora shook her head. Tears continued to run down her face. He wanted to wipe them away, but there was a weird feeling that flowed through the bond that made him pause. He looked at what she held in her hands. It was Mason's jacket.

"He's the reason for all of this, isn't he?" Nora asked. Her voice was small.

Her pain ran through the bond. Kane spun the desk chair around and sat on the edge of it. He didn't want to lie to her. He meant what he had said the night before. He was tired of the lies. He couldn't pretend anymore. When he didn't say anything, Nora threw the jacket at him.

Kane caught it. He held the denim in his hands gently. "What do you want me to say?"

Nora shook her head at him. Her eyes narrowed. "You aren't even going to deny it?"