Chapter 6

Chapter 6: Mason Erwan Ashmore

I was talking to my father about having this business trip in Toronto. I really don't like the idea of going to Toronto. Because I don't want to be far away with Kitty. It makes me sick and angry and mad. What if that Liam guy make a move to KItty? How am I supposed to protect her?

So many 'what ifs' that is running inside my brain. In fact, I feel like in any minute, it would leap out of my head and explode. And all of it is related to Kitty... and Liam. To be honest, I am scared that Kitty would rebel and change her mind and be with Liam. Because Liam is the type of guy that has everything (I am willing to admit). The looks, his tousled black hair that is always in front of his eyes that makes him mysterious. The white rows of teeth that when he flashes it, most girls would drool. The tanned complexion of his body that makes him even more astonishing and good. His chocolate eyes that capture everything Almost perfect. Where as I have blue eyes that don't make Kitty swoon and seem lost. A six pack abs that makes her unsatisfied (because she isn't drooling at me wherever I'm shirtless). My teeth that always have chocolate on it. My famous grin that makes her smirk instead of drooling and begging.

Argh. I can't believe I'm comparing myself to this Liam guy.

I just need to tell Kitty that I like her, or so I think. But I'm 100% sure that I like her, because I shouldn't be getting jealous whenever that guy makes Kitty laugh, smile and giggle. I shouldn't be getting jealous when that guy is around Kitty. Mostly, my heart shouldn't be beating faster when I'm near Kitty, or when I sniff a piece of her perfume that is clinging on her body, or whenever she touches me, it makes my heart beat wildly and sends an electrical feeling all over my body.

A sigh escapes my mouth as I see my father trudging towards me, his nose is flaring. His face is red from anger. I'm tired of dealing with him, but like I said before, I am not ready to be on my own. My father holds my credit cards and money. He can make my life miserable and a total hell. And I think I should prepare myself for the inevitable scene. Me being thrown away by my father. But at least, I know, that my mother would help me in case it happens. When it happens. The thoughts I've been thinking have been snapped away as my father slaps me on my face. I put a palm on my face and it stings. It hurts so much. This bastard. I want to fight him, to punch him in his stomach, to shred his heart into pieces. But I can't. Because, deep inside, I know that I love my father even if he hits me always. I gulp, seeing him very angry makes me want to shrink and disappear.

"Listen here you piece of crap, you're going with me in Toronto." He says with his eyes staring intensely into mine. His voice is full of malice, threatening me. His eyes are blazing with anger and hatred I'm afraid it would pulverize me. "You're going with me since his stupid daughter is asking you to be his date. We need his support for the company. Good thing that your marriage with Kitty hasn't been announce yet. Get it?" I nod, swallowing the lump forming in my throat. I'm speechless.

"Yes, father." I say, still rubbing my face where he hit me with his calloused and big hand.

After our mini incident and fight (although I didn't fight back), I decide to head to Kitty's apartment, because I know that she can make me smile and laugh and lift the burden off my shoulder. She always makes me happy and everything. I just keep walking until I reach her apartment, the door is closed. I'm contemplating whether I should knock or just enter the password and barge inside. I knock. Silence. I knock again. Silence. Releasing a sigh, I punch her room's password: 03201996. March 20, 1996. It's her birthdate. The door unlocks itself as I'm done typing the password. I turn the knob with my clammy hands and push myself in.

Her apartment is dark and cold, making me shiver. Silence everywhere. I turn on the lights and search for her. I check her bedroom but she isn't there. I've roamed the entire apartment but she's not here. I wonder where she is. She could be in her parent's apartment, talking to her or her dad or her evil sister. She could be wandering around Serendra, or in FullyBooked, reading some book. Or she could be with... no! She couldn't be with Liam right now or I swear I'm going to kill that guy senseless. I don't know where Liam's house is, or his apartment is. My hands curl into a fist, making my knuckles white. I'm very mad right now, knowing I do not know where my fiancée is.

My fiancée.

God, it sounds so good. Very good. It sends a cute rhythm and catchy beat in my ears. My anger is lowing down, knowing she'll be mine in 3 more weeks. Everything is set. The gown. My tux. The church. Everyone is invited: Shareholders, CEOs, future CEOs, rich people that have contacts to highest people. Bet some of then can invite Queen Elizabeth II.

The front door clicks shut, and I instantly get up to know who it is. Of course, it should be Kitty. But in case... I shut the thoughts away. Suddenly, my anger rises again. She's with Liam? Fuck. Liam gives her a peck on the cheek and flashes a smile at her. I scoff and roll my eyes at him. He leaves and Kitty shuts the door with a smile on her face. What is she smiling for? I should be the one making her smile!

When her eyes meet mine, she gasps and lets out a girly squeal which makes me chuckles but then quickly diminish it as I remember the peck Liam gave her. I stare at her and she stares back at me. "How long have you been here?" She says, finding her voice. She's scared and shaking.

"Almost an hour." I simply say, my eyes still piercing into her. I don't know what to feel. Happy, anger, hate, love. Love? Do I love her now? Am I in love with her? Yes? No? I don't know. "What were you doing with that guy?"

She snaps at me, "His name is not 'that guy', his name is Liam." She's glaring at me, arching an eyebrow. Arms crossed against her chest. Tapping a foot on the ground. She's like my mother when she gets pissed at me because I don't listen to her warnings. And it's very hot of Kitty doing that to me. Maybe I need someone to tame me completely. I mentally smirk at myself because of my naughty thoughts.

"Yeah, whatever." I shrug. "I don't want you getting involved with that guy." What? Why did I say that? Getting involved? Mason, really? I mentally slap myself because I think I chose the wrong words to describe what I was trying to say. "I mean, I don't want him getting near to you." I add quickly.

Her eyes snap open and glares at me with such malice. This is the first time she shot me that look. With hatred in it. I think I've crossed my limit. Yeah. I totally have. Kitty is very naive and sweet and caring. She'd take care of me like I'm sort of a little puppy whenever I'm sick. She'd cook soup for me to eat. She'd get some medicine for me even if it's raining heavily outside. She'd stay with me all night and all day. I'd say to her that she needs to life and she doesn't have to do this and she'd insist because she's my best friend. But, right now, I don't think I can consider her as my best friend. Because, for me, she's not my best friend anymore. She's my future wife. My wife.

"What?" I say defensively. Like, I'm protecting myself from her evil glares. I pretend to be innocent as much as I can. Trying to keep a straight face. But because of her expression, it makes it real hard. To not keep from laughing. But I suppress it. Don't want to get ambushed by her.

"You do not tell me who I should hang out with," she snaps at me. Her mouth twitches into a frown. "You do not tell me who I should be with! Because I can be with everyone!" Now I'm starting to get mad at her. Now, the anger is boiling inside me. I shut my eyes for a moment in order to keep from bursting out. From getting mad at her. Because I know that guilt would cover me after I get mad. After I say the words that I would regret in any minute. And I don't want that.

I open my eyes and see her staring at me intently. Like, she's waiting for me to burst. As I see her figure, my eyes flicker at her lips. Slightly parted. Plump. Soft. Pinkish. I'm fighting the urge to kiss her right here, right now. But she's making it real hard. Hell, she's not even doing anything to me. Just scolding me. And need I tell you, it's freaking hot and sexy. "Yes, I can. Because we're getting married. I am going to be your husband." I keep my gaze on her. She's trembling with anger.

Five. Four. Three. Two. One. Boom. "I don't care if you're going to be my husband! I don't care if I am getting married to you! I have my own life! You're my best friend—" I flinch at that. I am her best friend. Yes. Yes, I am. I can't keep struggling myself. I think I should taste those lips of her. Everything she says become muffled. I'm not listening to her but I'm hearing her angelic voice even if she's scolding me. I just keep staring at her lips. Those beautiful, plump, soft, pinkish lips. She grabs my bicep and then blushes. Oh, Kitty. But her expression changes. "Hey! I'm talking to you."

"I'm sorry for demanding things." I quickly say. Her face softens and she walks towards me and envelopes me in a hug. Without thinking, I nuzzle my face on her neck. The urge of finding her sweet spot using my lips makes me want to go crazy. Kitty Evans Paris is driving me crazy! The hug is lasting longer than our usual hug. Which is 5 seconds only. But tonight, we just stay here, hugging each other for what seems like eternity and heaven for me. I wish this doesn't stop. I wish time didn't exist. I wish... she likes me back.

• • •

I'm at the airport right now with my stupid and cruel father. If I could decide on my own, to choose decisions on my own, I'd rather not to go with my father. I'd rather to not have a father. But I think I'd still marry Kitty. Kitty. Since I woke up from her apartment, the smile has been plastered on my face, at my lips. Her mouth was open, she was drooling. Her hair was sticking in different directions. Just the thought of her smiling whilst still sleeping is making me calm and forget about this trip, about my father.

Of course, he has to ruin these thoughts of mine, I think.

He's walking towards me, his dark hair is slicked back and the creases on his forehead makes him even seem older. He's wearing a blue navy long sleeves that hugs his arms perfectly. A navy blue pants that matches his sleeves. In all honesty, it makes him even more attractive. Especially those eyes that captivate everyone. Even teens. He's handling a small briefcase and I'm handling a small luggage just for me to wear in an entire week. Entire week. Do you feel how much it torture me not to see her in a week? When Liam is around her and I'm not. When Liam is get to hang out with her and I'm not. When Liam is get to talk to her everyday second and I am just once a day. Argh, this girl is really driving me crazy. Driving me nuts. Driving me inside. Driving my brain out of my head.

He asks me if I'm ready and I tell him yes. We've been here in the airport two hours ago, and now, thank God, we're going to fly away from Philippines to Toronto. I take a seat beside my father. On the side of me is the window. Great. Good. Now I have a reason not to look at him. Just pretend to admire the sky and the land, Mason. Seems like a plan.

Great. Now I remember this is an 18 hours flight. Wooho. Thank you God for not torturing me. Please see the sarcasm. I shut my eyes, pretending to sleep. I've read on the internet that when you close your eyes for a minute or for a long time, you'd fall asleep. And I'm planning to prove that fact.

I wake up at the sounds of buzzing. I open my eyes to see what's happening. It's dark and it's raining but not heavy. Dark clouds are swirling beneath and above us. I don't know if I should get bothered by this. I don't know if I need to warn the pilots because of this. Even if it's not my place to tell. They know what they are doing. So no need to be bothered by it, right? I take a sleep again.

One pair of arms is waking me up and I groan. I open my eyelids and take a look at my father, who is shooting me daggers look and I quickly sit up. I must have fallen asleep very long. After we take our luggage, we take a cab and get to the hotel first. I don't plan on putting my clothes inside the cabinet because we'll only stay for a week. We take a rest.

A loud rings of alarm clocks choose to ring longer. I groan. I want to destroy that freaking clock for destroying my beauty sleep. As I lean on my elbows, I see that the sun's light is glowing inside my apartment, passing through my open window. I walk towards the bathroom and take a bath. The date. Oh shit. The date. My date. I quickly open the shower and let the water cascades down my body. I don't bother shampooing my scalp because I know it smells good. I just wash myself with a vanilla soap and rinse myself, then I brush my teeth and gargle a mouth wash. I wear a white polo sleeves that hugs my torso tightly, so tight than you can see my muscles contradict. You can even see my abs. Then I top the polo with a dark blue suit and wear a dark red necktie. I wear my black shoes then spray a Clive Christian perfume all over my body. I then head towards the lobby, where my father is waiting.

15 minutes and we're here at the grand club. When we enter inside, there are lots of people that is dancing through the catchy beat. Some random man is waving at us and my father waves back and walks towards the man. Beside the man is a girl. She has a blonde hair that hits her mid-back, long eyelashes and very mature face. She's wearing a red dress that hits her knee, and it hugs her torso perfectly that you can see the curves of her body. Her cleavage is showing at me. When she sees me, she beams and grins ear to ear. I fake a smile at her and kiss her cheek and shake hands with the guy. I really don't know who these guys are and I think I'm going to wait for my dad.

"Ah! Mr. Cassidy, long time no see!" My dad hugs Mr. Cassidy. Just heard of his name 10 seconds ago. Mr. Cassidy hugs him back and pats his shoulder. "Mr. Cassidy, this is my son, Mason."

"Hi, Mr. Cassidy. Thanks for inviting us here." I smile at him and turn towards the girl, who is watching me seductively. "And you are..." I wait for her name.

The girl's face lights up lika a Christmas tree and I resist the urge to roll my eyes at her. Not my type. Only Kitty for me. "Lea Cassidy." She says seductively and shakes my hand. She takes my hand and insists me on kissing her cheek by pushing me towards her so I have no chance but to kiss her cheek. Mr. Cassidy just chuckles and Lea is still watching me and I'm starting to get nervous because of her. Lea chooses to sit beside me and I have to get along with her so Mr. Cassidy would continue this deal between his and my dad's company. Lea is running her hand back and forth across my thigh, near my groan and I gulp. Good thing the bar is loud so I think they didn't hear it. Lea purrs seductively in my ear and nibbles my earlobe whilst her hand is still rubbing my thigh. I mouth 'Need to go the restroom. Be back' and she nods.

I leave dad, Lea and Mr. Cassidy on their own and quickly take a sit on a high stool and order a shot of tequila. The bartender gives it to me and I down it in one drink. A man appears and orders a mango juice. He eyes me but I don't give a damn. "What's wrong, dude?" The man says to me. I can tell he's a little worried and his happy turns into a frown.

"I'm getting married. I don't even like the girl." I blurt out. Oops. Why did I say that? Stupid Mason. I like Kitty Evans Paris. And I hope she likes me back. Because we're getting married in 3 weeks. Although what I said to ths guy is still a mystery to me. I tag along.

The man's eyes widen and becomes uncomfortable. "That's fucked up, dude. Did you, um, get her pregnant?" Now it's my turn to widen my eyes. Kitty, being pregnant by me? No way! We're still virgins! And I nearly choke.

"No. Make up wedding. My parents planned it. Business." I say simply. Somehow, this guy asking me questions makes me feel relax. Only Kitty does ask questions about me. About my health. About my problems. About mom. About my stupid dad. Although mom does ask questions about my problems, it's still different. He huffs.

"My name's Azariah. Who are you?"

"Mason. Thanks, man. See ya' soon." I pat his back and go off towards where Mr. Cassidy, Lea and my father are. I said I'm just going to the bathroom but it took me 15 minutes. Really? As I reach our table, Lea puts his arm inside mine and pouts at me. I smile fakely at her. She asks me where I've been and I answer her 'to the bathroom' and she just smiles back at me.

Being miles away from Kitty makes me sick. Makes me unaware. Makes me uncomplete. I want her beside me. I want her here. I want to hold her and kiss her day and night, not stopping. Not caring about our parents. Not caring about the world. Just me and her. When we get married, we'd just stare at the sky in the balcony. And when the night comes, we'd just star gaze. Just kissing each other. Just holding each other.

Being miles away from Kitty makes me lost in my own world.