Chapter 8

Chapter 8: Kitty Paris

We get home. Only Liam and I. Mr. Ashmore said he has some unfinish business he needs to take care of. We, Liam and I, gratefully nodded at him. We take a cab. Well, I have a car but I don't have a driver's licence yet. But I will have it soon.

I tell him about my school. My course. My classmates. Everything. But I leave the part where Liam is my schoolmate. He'd be pissed, I just know it. I tell him about the professors, that they are very good at teacher and he replies they should be. But I ignore it and continue on story telling.

He suddenly blurts out, "Did some guy hit on you?" I'm taken aback of what he said. He sounds so jealous suddenly but it quickly diminishes as a smile appears on his almost perfect face. Was I imagining things? Am I imagining things? Liam was surely jealous when one of his friends flirted at me, does that count? No. I think I should leave that part. I shake my head as he tilts his head to the side, his hair falling to his side. My eyes wander on his neck and I resist the urge to put a love bite there. Just the thought of putting a hickey on his neck, marking him as mine, runs a shiver through the length of my spine, making my posture rigid. "Good." I give him a nervous smile and sigh.

Mason sprawls on my bed, and slumps himself comfortably. I guess he's really tired. I take a peek at his sleeping figure, just to make sure he's asleep. He is. I make my way towards the living room and watch some movies. Pitch Perfect. I tune the volume down so it wouldn't wake Mason up. Pitch Perfect is one of my favorite movies. Especially it's a musical movie. I have a thing for musical shows: Glee, High School Musical, The Voice, America Got Talent and the list goes on. When Beca, the main character, joins the Barden Bells, I feel happy. She has a good voice. Beca Mitchell is so rebelious and didn't want to go to college, his dad just forced her to. When she met this guy, Jesse, who always flirts with her, Beca seems so happy and everything. But it turns out Jesse joined Treblemakers, the main enemy of the Barden Bellas. And when Barden Bellas' leader, Aubrey, she told them about the Treblemakers, she's eager to win. When the movie is done, I move towards the big window. My apartment has 4 big windows, from top to floor. I can see the sun setting down. A shade of darkening orange sprawls over the sky, making it so beautiful. Suddenly, I feel a pair of hands going on my waist, and I feel suddenly warm, his breath fanning my hair, considering he's taller than me. I shut my eyes, letting the warm of his body radiate through me. I snap my eyes open and question myself: We were never this intimate before. Sure we sleep together. But, he didn't do this stuff. Until now. My heart does some somersault and my stomach releases a bunch of butterflies, fluttering inside me.

We just stay there, looking at the sun. There's a heavy traffic and their cars' honks are making a loud noise. Considering my room is on the 15th floor. I decide to move, so I do, leaving Mason there. I head to the kitchen to make a dinner for us and turn on the deep fryer, putting it on a high heat. Today, I'm frying Calamares. It's a squids that are deep fried. I've learned the recipe when I was on my 3rd day of school. We were doing some cooking and my friend, Lisa, showed it to me and it tasted good so I asked for the recipe and she willingly gave it to me with a proud smile.

When I'm done frying it, I put it on a plate, designing it like we, my classmates, usually do to our class. I stand there proudly, admiring my work. I hear Mason chuckle beside me and I step back. I didn't hear him enter. How long has he been watching me? I sigh and punch his shoulder playfully and he puts his hand on his arm where I hit him, putting a playful shock all over his face and I laugh, and he, too, laughs along with me. We eat in peaceful, not until Mason moans. And I tense. Just hearing his moan is turning me on. Oh God.

"Hmm. Dyis ish very good," he mumbles, mouth full. Then he downs it with one gulp and he grins at me. "Nice, KitKat. Practicing to be my wife?" He teases me, a playful grin is tugging across his lips and I roll my eyes at him. He chuckles as he forks a piece of squid and puts it in his mouth. I find myself staring at his lips. It's moving. His eyes are shut, and I continue to stare on his beautiful, pinkish, soft and plump lips. My mind says don't look, but my heart seems in command right now. Finally, I have enough courage to look away as he opens his eyes and smiles at me. "This is so delicious, KitKat! Can you make again?"

"You just ate it all!" I cry, staring at him in disbelief. He sure can eat a lot.

"Well, you can't blame because it's really delicious." He grins at me and stands up, putting his plate on the sink and just stands there, looking at me. I scowl at him and mouth 'what?'. "I said make again." He says.

"You just ate it all and you want me to make it again? You're impossible, Mason Erwan Rousseau Ashmore!" Next thing I know, I'm on his shoulder, my head facing his beautiful bum. I stop thrashing around as he throws me on the bed and grins at me. He climbs in the bed and turns off the lamp and the room becomes dark. I'm sitting in an indian style. Mason pats the soft matress beside him, telling me to lay down with him. So I do. I check the clock that is pinned on the wall above the room's door. It reads: 7:38PM. It's still early.

I shut my eyes, trying to sleep. I'm aware of the body lying beside me and suddenly, I can't breathe or think properly as his hand slides on my bare stomach. I take a peek of him on the corner of my eyes and sure he's asleep. I lean down and our noses are almost teaching. I study his features. His crooked nose that is so hot. I guess he got that from a fight. His long eyelashes that flutter beautifully when he bats it or when he opens, or closes his eyes. His lips that seem kissable. In two weeks, I'll be married to him; In two weeks, I'll be no longer a Ms. Might as well enjoy my single life.

• • •

1 week before our wedding and I practically screaming as I fit my wedding dress. It seems I've gotten fat. I admit, I ate—coughs, eat—a lot these past few days. Last week, I felt that Mason and I have gotten closer. Much closer. We do some intimate things like hugging romantically (or so it seems to me), pecking cheeks romantically. My mom lets out a growl as she studies my body and shakes her head, clearly annoyed. I roll my eyes at her and head inside the changing room to strip this thing off of me. In any minute, I'd burst and just slap my mother on the face. But it's too rude. As I recall last week's happenings, my mom is saying something.

14 days before the wedding, Mason and I were doing something. Pointing notes that we wanted to change to our wedding. Mason said he wanted to remember it. I blushed at his comment, and I was flattered, because who would have thought about that? He kept glancing at me as if I was going to be gone in any moment, he even put an arm around me and pushed me against him so my back was against his solid chest. And that was effing adorable for me. Mason has been acting strange ever since he came back from Toronto. When we were done, we ate lunch at McDonalds, I ordered a large fries and two spicy chickens with rice. As for Mason, he ordered quarterpound burger, a large drink, a large fries and chocolate sundaes. Typical Mason. I gawked at him and when he caught me, he asked me 'what?' and I've had to shake my head and continued on eating my meal. While we were walking, Liam appeared suddenly and Mason snorted and rolled his eyes at Liam. And Liam fisted his hands. Mason just grabbed my hand and we stalked off, Mason dragging me.

12 days before the wedding, Mom and I had a fight because she thought she was the best at choosing wedding dresses. But I countered her, telling her that it's my wedding and I needed to, at least, choose on my own. Mason and I didn't see each other that day.

10 days before my wedding and I was squealing like an idiot. I was at this shop selling authentic necklaces with Liam. We were choosing what's good on me and Liam being Liam, kept flirting with me. I was going to tell him my wedding with Mason when that devil came and took me again, leaving Liam dumbfounded. I shrugged my wrist off of Mason's grip and Liam ran to us. When Liam and Mason faced each other, they had an almost fight and of course, I, being a referee to these two, stopped them. Mason told Liam about our wedding and said back off or else he'd kill him. I peeked at Liam's expression and there were hurt and pain in his eyes. My heart did a little flip, aching from what I saw on Liam's expression.

9 days before it and I was getting sweaty as I waited for Mrs. Paris to come out of her room. I was at the living room, waiting for her. When she got out, I stood up properly and she gave me a thin smile, showing her beauty to me. I returned a smile and we both sat. I told her about Mason acting strange these past few days and she just shrugged and told me to watch out for him. She said Mason was being mysterious and all just recently. I told her I noticed the way he's been acting and it's really strange. He was being overprotective and whenever he sees a guy who looks at my way, he'd put an arm around my shoulder and push me against him. I was sure it's not jealousy. Mrs. Paris and I talked a lot of things we'd share when the wedding's done. I even confessed my true feelings for Mason to her. And she just gave me a soothing smile and made a fist, telling me to fight for him. Which I gratefully took.

8 more days before my big, big, big wedding. Oh well, not big. But for me. I was at school doing homework on my break, Lisa squealed from what I told her about the wedding. I showed her the picture of Mason through Facebook and she fake fainted and I rolled my eyes playfully at her. She wanted to meet Mason, kept insisting me to bring him, kept bugging me. So I did show her Mason. And she literally screamed and Mason was creeped by her and I just shrugged. Lisa kept telling Mason how cute he is, how handsome he is and how perfect he is. It was starting to get on Mason's nerves. But in the ned, he'd managed to keep his composure. And I was very proud of it. Ha.

I change my wedding dress and mom reluctantly agree and I give her a smile, which is a total fake and ungenuine. When we get home, I run straight to my bedroom and sleep.

Someone's arms is shaking me, his beautiful voice keeps ringing in my ears and I smile. Then I touch his cheek without even thinking of it. Like, my arm acts on its own. When I realize what I'm doing, I immediately pull my hand away from his cheek and I can feel the blush forming on my cheeks. I feel flustered. I down a sour saliva forming inside my mouth and it's really nasty so I head to the bathroom and brush my teeth. I hear Mason chuckles. When I'm done, I move over him and put a hand on my hip.

"So, what's the deal today?" I ask, trying to ignore the subject he'd ask sooner or later. I just need to distract him from asking it. I know that I'd be embarrassed and would be flustered and everything, so I need to prevent it.

"I don't know, what do you want to do today?"

"Sleep," I mumble, moving towards my bed when he catches my wrists and turns me, my face inches away from his. His light blue eyes staring perfectly into mine. His eyes are so blue it feels like it's part of the ocean. Beautiful yet terrifying. My heart pumps so fast it could be a reason of a sudden earthquake. His hand in is still grasping my wrist. His beautiful eyes flicker on my parted lips as I watch his. My legs are becoming weaker and weaker as I continue to gaze at his face. I contort myself out of his grip as the blush in my cheeks becoming obvious. "Um, so... movie?" I say, trying to reduce the heat that is hovering all over my body. His chest is heaving, his eyes not meeting my gaze.

"Movie then," he says, giving me a smile that always catches me off guard. That makes me lost. That gives me hope. We head out to the living room and I rummage my cabinet for movies. I pick Footloose. Musical, then. When I look at Mason, he grimaces as he sees the movie in my hand and I roll my eyes at him and he chuckles.

We watch the movie in a complete silence. The only thing you're hearing is the sound of the movie. I'm not really paying attention to what I'm watching. I'm paying attention to the body sitting beside me as he continues to watch the movie purposely. Maybe the almost kiss has been bugging him? It's been bugging me, too. On the corner of my eyes, I see him staring at me. Is he... studying me? Checking me out? I doubt the latter. I suddenly feel self-concious and naked. He seems to notice it and looks away. Now, it's my turn to look at him. Then quickly look away.

The day has passed and it's bed time. Mason said he'd sleep in his apartment and doesn't want to disturb me in my sleep but he doesn't do that. In fact, we sleep like a baby. Never once in my life that he's bothered me in sleep. I know it's connected to the almost kiss. Almost kiss. My lips just inches away from his lips. If I closed that gap, would he have kissed me back? If I closed that gap, would he love me the way I do to him? He's avoiding me.

Mason is avoiding me.

My stomach churns as I think of Mason hating me. I don't want that. That's the last thing I want Mason to do. Hell, that's the thing I don't want Mason to do. Hate me. A tear escapes my eyes as I think of him. Then I cry to sleep.

The alarm clock beeps constantly. Time for school. I wake up and strech my arms and legs. I look my reflection and I look... horrible! I've been crying last night. My eyes are puffy and fading red. There's a black bag underneath my eyes, revealing I didn't sleep last night. I step in the shower and open it. The water makes its way on my body as I continue to rub myself with a honey soap. The smell is great and strong. Then shampoo my hair and massage my scalp. Brush my teeth. Dry myself. Get out. Wear uniform and done. I check my reflection and put a little make up to hide the bags underneath my eyes. I've been wearing contact lens ever since I started to come in that school. I decide to leave it and be on my own. Be myself. High and proud. Just like Effie Trinket said in Catching Fire, "Eyes bright. Chins up! Smiles on." So I do. Eyes are bright. Chin is up. Smile is on.

In less than 10 minutes, I'm in front of my school and sigh as the line of the students continues to grow and I'm not falling in line yet. So I fall in line. Someone pinches me in my arm and I scowl. Lisa. I roll my eyes at her and she giggles. Lisa has a black hair that is chest-level. Her complexion is light brown and it looks great on her. Her dark eyes are beautiful. The lady checks out bag and lets us in. We make our way in our first class and smile.

"Why are you wearing a four inch heels?" I ask her as I study her figure.

"Who cares?"

"The new head of Disciplinary Office," I mumble.

"Yeah, whatever."

Time seems like to participate today. I only have 3 subjects today. When my last subject is done, I quickly stand up and shove my things inside my bag and take off, leaving Lisa dumbfounded. She runs to me and clings on my shoulder and pretends to cry as she says 'why are you leaving me?' I playfull hit her arm and she pretends to hurt and mumbles, "I'm dying! I'm dying! Walang hiya ka!" I think it's 'shame on you' in English. I suppress a laugh. We're in the main lobby when we hear murmurs about a handsome guy sitting on a stairs outside. Urg, girls and their hormones!

I put my ID on top of the machine to let me out and I wait for Lisa as she does the same. After that, we step outside and there, sitting on a stairs... is Mason. His back to me. I know it's Mason because of semi-curly dark hair. And it's light brown because the sun's light is hitting on it. He turns around and there he is, looking gorgeous. Most girls squeal and murmur about Mason being the most handsome guy they've ever seen. I have a translator—coughs, Lisa, coughs. His hair is tousled and messy and he's wearing a shades. A black shirt that has a batman logo and the hem of his tee is crumpled, causing his batman tattoo to peek. I hear Lisa giggle beside me. For a moment, I'm lost. For a moment, there are no people around us. Only Mason and I. He walks towards me and Lisa bounces up and down. Total fangirl of us. I blush as Mason grins to me ear to ear. And expectantly, the girls stop walking to look at us. To me, then to Mason, then back at me.

My name is being called. I turn around and see Liam running in my direction. Then his eyes lands on the man beside me and he scowls. A hand snake its way on my waist and Liam rolls his eyes. The girls that are looking scrunch their nose up as they see Liam.

"Let's go, Kitty." Mason says coldly as he grabs my wrist softly yet it manages to hurt me. Not physically but emotionally. I don't know why. But I surely hate Mason acting like this. When he sees my expression, he quickly lets go and leans down and looks at me in the eye. "What's wrong, KitKat? Did I do something wrong? Did I hurt you?"

I shake my head.

"I'm sorry," he says and then hugs me. I hug him back. Then Liam suddenly appears.

"Hey, Mason, I need to talk to you." Liam says. He gives me a nod and turns his face in Mason's direction. Mason scowls and reluctantly agree. As Mason jerks his head towards the less crowded area, Liam adds, "No, right here, man."

"Okay..."

"Straight to the point: Listen here, if you cheat on her or hurt her, I will take her away from you." Liam says fiercly as he glares at snorting Mason. Mason makes a face and Liam glares at him with anger. Uh oh. When Mason continues to mock him, Liam takes a step and readies his fist. I quickly step in.

"Woah! Woah! Stop. No violence!" I shriek as Mason fists his hands and ready to make a World War III. I put a palm on Liam's and Mason's chest as they continue to glare at each other. Stupid Ares and being a God of war.

Liam bursts, "I'm fucking serious, Mason! I will take her away from you if you did any of that!"

"I will never do it!" Mason shouts, causing me to tremble. My knees are shaking. Sweat is forming on my forehead, not due to the sun, but because of these two. "Now stay away from us and never appear again!"

I scrunch up my nose and glare at Mason, whose eyes are piercing madly into Liam's. "Shut up you two! Mason, don't tell him what to do! He's my friend! I don't want you guys fighting because of this stupid matter! I don't care if you cheat on me after we get married, Mason, because you have a life of your own! You're still free, okay? As for you, Liam, don't go overprotective and shits on me, because I really can take care of myself."

Liam smirks.

"So, that's what you think of me, Kitty? Really?" Mason scoffs. "You really think I'd cheat on you? And you're joining him in his force? Really? I can't believe you, Kitty. Of all people, you're the one who really know me. All my secrets and everything, you know it! And yet, here you are, accusig me of something that would never happen. Fine, be with him!" Mason runs off before I speak. I never meant it that way. I never meant to hurt him. I take off and run to my apartment. As soon as I enter, I burst out crying. Then I sleep.

I wake up in the middle of the night and remember everything. I cry again. And sleep.

I check my cellphone. No new messages. Tears are threatening to pour out. The feeling that I've been hiding towards Mason is hurting me. He hates me. Mason hates me. He freaking hates me. I know I'm wrong but he didn't shut me out. He never hated me. He never got mad at me. Until yesterday.

I'm so stupid.