1.35 One Person to Cherish

So many years in peace - having had the opportunity to experience of what a family was like; having received so much love from the Ji family and from this little girl she had already thought as her own sister... . Bai YuLan forgot that if she did not do anything, she would really have to follow Ji LanBai to the third Prince's household.

She had a modern woman's soul, and her previous self was very independent. Mia Simmons loved to test her own limits, roamed the world, broke traditional rules.

Aside of the possibility of being caged - which was already not looking as an attractive future - was she just imagining the slightest of zeal that the third Prince had in his current gaze at her?

Forget about Ji LanBai's own willingness to have her living under the same household -- in this ancient era, it was not at all outside the norms to have the Mistress' maids serving the Master as well - be it on or off the bed. 

YuLan did not even have to ask herself if she wanted that possibility. The answer was a definite resounding No.

Even if it was for Ji LanBai. Even if Ji LanBai did not mind -- YuLan was not willing to wrong herself.

And she must make sure this young Prince would not be deluded to think otherwise. She might be overthinking things, but she wanted to make her stance and opinion known. 

Ji LanBai might not be willing to understand YuLan's intention to pull away, but as the actual head of the household, Prince GuoFu would make appropriate decisions. So YuLan had to make him understand. Now.

"Third Prince..." she started.

"Please, just call me by my name," there was a trace of hurt in his tone, knowing that she had suddenly chosen to address him by his title to keep her distance.

YuLan was silent, still staring at Zhang GuoFu who had not shifted his gaze as well. She sighed,

"My wish is only one," she said softly, but her tone was resolute, "That GuoFu, you will cherish one person -- and only one person -- for the rest of your life."

She added, "That person... is not me."

Both of them knew who she was referring to.

(Ji LanBai playing with water)

"LanBai is good. She is adorable and I truly wish to look after her for the rest of my life," Zhang GuoFu smiled, but a trace of bitterness appeared in his small smile at YuLan's earlier words, 

"Can I not look after you as well, YuLan?"

A delighted squeal of LanBai was heard. The both of them looked at her direction, to see some fat baby swans - a group of white fluffy cygnets - trailing behind the white mother swan, all of them bravely heading towards LanBai - most probably thinking that she had food for them.