1.74 The Eagle's Cry

One summer day - a few weeks after SongLi left - Xiao Hui and YuLan decided to head to the ravine at the bottom of the gorge.

Having lived in the house for almost a full year, they had explored all terrains within close proximity. And they found a relatively easy path to tread, to reach the river below the high grounds their house was. 

Normally the area would be inaccessible due to the raging water and the depth of the river. However during summer, the currents became docile - as the water level receded- and the river basically became one big natural made pool.

The vegetation and trees were lush, and there were a lot of mother-nature-made small caverns, providing plenty of cool respite from the scorching sun high above.

When they first discovered the spot, JingMo had built a small bamboo raft and a wooden boat, for everyone to use if they ever wished to.

At the moment, YuLan and Xiao Hui were idly resting on the raft, that was still tied to the river bank. The summer heat was too much for them to be cooped up in the house doing their usual embroidery, so they had decided to head to the river to unwind.

The water and the air at this spot were pleasantly cool.

The slightest breeze caused the tree branches to sway, gently shaking off the last of their summer petals to the air. Some of the fluttering petals fell to both young women, some to the river, then were gently carried by the river to disappear beyond their sight. Lush green and the cool temperature down in this part of the gorge enlighten everyone's mood.

 Lush green and the cool temperature down in this part of the gorge enlighten everyone's mood

(Xiao Hui - in peach colored robes; YuLan in blue)

HeShan and SunChen sat at the bank of the river, underneath another tall tree. HeShan was languidly playing his dizi, the flute sound added to the enthralling solitude. The water seemed to gently accompany his flute as well, ripples and light splash every so often adding to the melody. Sitting by his side, SunChen had a book on his lap, but it seemed that he was starting to doze off, as his head gradually dipped lower.

By their side was a small charcoal lit brazier, with an iron tea pot being warmed on top of a mesh grill. It contained some tea for their refreshment. 

Then their peaceful moment was suddenly disturbed as there was a loud voice - belonging to one of the two soldiers that were standing guard a few feet away  from their location.

"Who's there! Show yourself!"

--------------------

JingMo was in front of his parent's graves, sprinkling some water on the earth mounds. Then he proceeded to put a couple of cups filled with fragrant wine in front of the wooden plaque, as a prayer's offering.

He had gone to visit their graves alone, despite Xiao Hui wanting to come along earlier. JingMo had one look at the young woman then - her thin robes were plastered to her slim frame due to the sweat. This particular day was unbearably warm. JingMo had to shift his eyes away as he suddenly felt flush of heat looking at the enticing figure silhouetted beneath the robes.