1.55 Heartache

Hai FenChu still held onto YuLan's arms, her fingernails dig deeply onto her skin, even with the protection of her robe's sleeve.

YuLan grimaced inside, but she did not let the slight pain show on her face as she slowly lifted her head.

"What nonsense are you talking about, YuLan?" Now Hai FenChu's voice was low in anxiousness and also ire.

It was the first time ever she had felt anger.

All the effort, all her love towards this young woman, her intention to find her a good husband...

- Was she not appreciated at all?

But YuLan kept her silence. Of course she knew Hai FenChu's good intention. The Second Madam had enthusiastically shown her some noble sons' profiles before, to see if YuLan was interested in getting acquainted with any of them, but YuLan always laughed it off and politely rejected the offer. Ji LanBai herself was always on her side as well, though for an entirely different reason.

"There is no way YuLan will be married to another household. She will come with me and will live with me in GuoFu-ge's estate. We will not be apart," Ji LanBai expressed her annoyance towards her second mother numerous times the issue ever came up.

So either way, if YuLan was to stay in Ji household, her future was screwed.

Their love - Ji LanBai's and Hai FenChu's - was only going to destroy her in the end.

"YuLan wishes to be free, Madam," this time, she looked at Hai FenChu.

"You...~!"

Ji ChanFang interrupted them, as he noticed the atmosphere was getting more tense,

"Have you thought it through?," he prompted, "I have never been involved in domestic matters, but I know LanBai loves you very much. If you are to follow her, your future livelihood is guaranteed."

As his second wife glared at him, he added further with a cough,

"But of course, if you want to marry separately, we definitely won't do you wrong in selecting your future husband. You will marry well."

"Of course, that is the ultimate concern of any female in this era," YuLan thought bitterly.

"Neither is what YuLan wishes for, Master. YuLan thanks everyone for your well intention, but YuLan does not want to be shackled."

Ji ChanFang paused as he looked at the young woman. 

Her gaze - free spirited and unwavering - was very similar to a certain someone he knew a long time ago. 

"If that is what you wa...- ," 

"DEFINITELY NOT!!", Hai FenChu bellowed, interrupting Ji ChanFang. He blinked - it was the first time the soft spoken and well-tempered second wife of his ever raised her voice; and to interrupt him, no less.

"YuLan, what are you going to do outside?" She gripped her arms tighter, "You are just a woman! What can you do outside by yourself??"

YuLan grit her teeth as Hai FenChu shook her body. 

"You can only be safe and happy if you have a good man looking after you," Hai FenChu continued, "And that is exactly what I intend to do for you, YuLan, can't you see?"

"Now, where have I heard that before?", YuLan was reminded at her mother from her previous life.

"Chu-er...," Ji ChanFang muttered, "She is capable of deciding for herself."

"Besides, she is a stranger to us. Why does she go out of her way to hold her back?" - he thought.

"No! She is NOT going anywhere!" Hai FenChu shook her head vigorously.