1.49 Indifference

Chao HuiBo and Chao MeiHua also quickly greeted SongLi, despite the latter's lack of interest towards them. SongLi only greeted HeShan and SunChen – who were still staring at him dumbfounded.

After all, the last time they saw him, he was still lying on the bed like a cabbage. They very tactfully stepped aside though, noticing the young man's unyielding gaze towards the young woman previously hidden behind their bodies.

SongLi sheathed his sword on his belt and stepped forward, only stopping an arm's length from YuLan.

His eyes anxiously darted from the top of her hair to the tip of her shoes, wanting to check every inch of her, making sure she was not injured or slighted in anyway – at least not physically.

She could only frown at him, her own lips pursed in straight line. The jumbled of emotions behind her own calm façade could only be felt by herself.

There was a myriad of feelings: relief, vexation, anger.

He finally let out a soft relieved sigh and smiled – the usual gentle soft smile. His heated gaze was unrestrained, seemingly wanting to swallow her entire being in his heated gaze.

Everyone else was starting to feel uncomfortable, when HeShan finally coughed and asked Chao HuiBo in his attempt to dispel the silence,

"Ah, Young Master Chao... . What did you say about an issue that is related to us as well?"

Chao HuiBo shifted his gaze uncomfortable towards Ji SongLi and Bai YuLan – who were still in their own staring contest. He could not help but to also let out a nervous cough,

"Ah, we were just from Old Master Liu YangHuan's estate. As soon as the court was over, along with the Second Prince and the Third Prince, and vice-commander Zhen, I wanted to pay a visit to the Ji family," 

Chao HuiBo glanced at YuLan.

He actually only wanted to pay a visit to this particular person.

"But the whole estate was in chaos... . Young Master Ji had gone missing... ."

The Crown Prince still had to recuperate in his own fief after the last qi transfer. Chao MeiHua and Princess Zhang XiuYa tagged along. Chao HuiBo was not an idiot to not know who exactly the two young ladies wanted to see at Liu YangHuan's/ current Ji's estate.

"And now, he is clearly here, looking very well..."

HeShan and SunChen also returned their gaze at SongLi. The previously sharp mighty looking Young Master with a sword, was now looking like a puppy at YuLan's intended disregard at him. SongLi wanted to carry the herbal pouch still in her hands, but she just shifted her body to avoid his reach.

And was she... actually pouting?

They could understand her irritation, though.

How could a man who was so close to death's door now just bustle along in the streets unconcernedly? It was clear his sole purpose was just YuLan; from his current body language and his clear lack of interest towards of everyone else – despite the burning gaze the highly-ranked Princess Zhang XiuYa constantly gave him. The Princess even uncovered her veil, for all deities' sakes! She clearly wanted to charm him with her beautiful face.

HeShan and SunChen could not help but to light a candle in their hearts towards the Princess(1).

"Not that she would have any chance to begin with, even if she was to be a bit nicer towards YuLan..."

A harried sound of horses' hooves was heard, then a screeching voice of the beasts as they were reigned suddenly.

Zhen BuFeng and Second Prince JunLi dismounted from their horses and jogged towards the group.