42. Naming Heirs

I had thought going head to head with King Raven was a good idea

I had thought going head to head with King Raven was a good idea. I had thrown off my shirt to show the king just how the tint of coldness in the air did not bother me in the least. I also did it to show him the fit and twelve-years-younger body that a particular female we have both been with had experienced first.

See, now most people think that they know pain but as a member, a royal, of the Land Realm we ink our skin from head to toe. We etch our bodies with our experiences as we grow into the creatures that we are meant to be. I wanted him to see all of the man who I am. Yes, I am young, but I am a king and I have the blood to show it, the markings on my skin as well.

My arrogance had told me that because I was younger I would have more stamina. That I would win the fight easily but I had been completely wrong. King Raven had bested me in just about every way. He matched every single pace, every blow. Everything that I had came at him with he had came right back at me and did so casually, almost effortlessly.

He kept a demeanor that was so calm, cool, and collected it had driven me nearly mad. Nothing bothered him. No thrust of my sword or hard swipe of my blade. He had countered them all with ease. I was akin to a pebble in his shoe and that fact was infuriating.

Then when he had cornered me and shifted I was left flabbergasted. He was extremely strong to be able to midshift. I cannot even midshift. No one in the Land Realm has been able to for generations. Not many creatures in any realm, for that matter, have ever been able to. But there King Raven was, doing it with ease. It was infuriating because I was more jealous of the act than anything. I wanted that much power, to be able to control myself and wolf in a united form. But I lack the amount of self-control, as he had made a point of.

When King Raven had uttered the words about the two of them together I had thought about Pere's hands on him. I had thought about him wanting her and her wanting her in return. If his words held any truth to them at all that meant that she wanted him too. She may have wanted him just as badly as he wanted her.

I feel my entire body begin to tremble again just at the thought of them together. I picture all of the pleasurable faces that she had made with me and her making them with him. Her naked, writhing in pleasure in his arms. It is enough to almost make me shift.

The only thing that calms me down is the image of our sons in my head. I can hate him all I want but there had been truth to my words. I hate the situation we are all in. I hate that Pere is with him; married to him. I hate a lot of it. But the one thing I do not hate was our ability to make such beautiful little creatures.

I picture King Raven's wide spread onyx wings in my mind and cannot even be mad. Our children will have that power in their blood. If our children are lucky enough they will be able to do the same. Midshifting into whatever creature they may be, that is my only hope. I also hope we have created something none of the realms can ignore, reject.