41. The Courtyard

Watching Timber and Peregrine on the bed together, holding and feeding our children, was not the most pleasant thing I had ever experienced

Watching Timber and Peregrine on the bed together, holding and feeding our children, was not the most pleasant thing I had ever experienced. But when she had given birth to our two healthy boys I had felt my heart grow three times in size. I do not think hearts could ever get as big as mine currently is.

I realized in that moment that my feelings for Pere had grown as well. It was not just feelings of fondness for my mate and wanting to better the realm anymore. No, it is so much more than that now. I know that I am in love with her. The creature has officially stolen my heart.

When she had asked about her mark, his mark on her, I could feel the hurt right alongside the love. That has been my general experience with love though; it is painful. So when she reiterated that yes, his mark on her was once again connecting them, I had wanted to scream. The scars were no longer just a visual reminder anymore. They bonded the two of them together again.

She would never get over Timber with that connection still between them. It will not let her, even if she wanted to move one, she would crave him. Peregrine would never just want to be with me, not with that bitten claim still attached to her. Part of her body and soul will always belong to the Land Realm, to Timber. But it is the body part that irks me so.

Our kind does not experience heat in such a way. This is why we do not mark our mates as the Land realm does. There is no need for it. But Timber was right when it came to Peregrine. She is a unique female and will most likely have the same experience as a creature of the land.

If her screaming and writhing in pain from their bond being broken was her initial reaction then I would gather she will have the same response to their heat. She would long for him, long to have him inside of her, and Timber would feel the same way about Peregrine. The need to mate would be insatiable for both of them. The only way to satiate that hunger would be for him to bed her the entire time; fill her with his essence repetitively.

I feel an uneasy rumble of a noise come out of my mouth on its own volition. Timber's suggestion of coming here during that time to mate her surely the reason for it. I pull Peregrine's body closer into mine as she sleeps, hating the thought of another man wanting to bed her. I do not want her being with another male creature than myself ever again but now because of this she will long to be.

I will have to watch her be in the condition and not be able to do anything about it. I mean, yes, I could mate her but she would long for Timber and I could never stand that. My mind brings up the mental image of them losing complete control with one another. The two of them rutting in their fervent heat.

Not being able to temper the anger building in me I have to roll away from her and off the bed. I let out a hearty, irritated sigh hating our mutual circumstance. Timber has been in the castle for the past three weeks, staying in a room in our corridor. What the Land and Sky Realms must be thinking of his presence here I can only imagine.