28. Comfort and Discomfort

I watch him walk out of the room feeling somewhat flustered by the interaction we had just had

I watch him walk out of the room feeling somewhat flustered by the interaction we had just had. Not even just the interaction from this morning, the interaction between us from last night as well. I picture the security of his arms around me, my face against his bare firm chest.

The moment he had started scenting me I had felt immediately better. Something about that, the intimacy of it all maybe, had made me feel extremely guilty. The only time I had ever experienced such a thing was when I was doing something much more lewd with Timber. Being in King Raven's arms in such a way had made me feel traitorous.

The markings that Timber had left on my skin had made me feel like I was burning alive. Something King Raven had said about that had completely confused and hurt me. Timber was breaking a part of his claim on me, a part of our bond. I knew it was not the entire thing because I could still smell him on my skin. It has left me wondering just what he had done to do so and more so— why?

Had he truly lain with someone else? Claimed another with his bite in the way he had me? I shake my head in confusion because I cannot think of a single circumstance where he would have done so willingly.

Speaking of acts one does willingly, I think back to my own this morning. Waking up in the king's strong embrace, my body had wrapped around his naturally. I meld myself into his form unknowingly in my sleep. When I blinked my eyes open I could not believe I had done such a thing.

My curious nature had gotten the better of me then, for I had reached out and caressed the king's abdomen because of it. It was strong and fit, hard as a rock beneath my fingers but somehow comfortingly soft as well. His body was seemingly much like the king himself.

When I looked up, wanting to know if he kept his serious demeanor even in his sleep, I had been mortified. Because there King Raven was, all fierce blue eyes watching me intently. His features gave not a single thing away. I could not tell if he disapproved of my action or he enjoyed it. It was probably the single most embarrassing moment of my life.

A soft knock on the door pulls me out of my traumatization. I tell him to enter and as he does he says, "I was wondering if you would just like to come down to my parents' room. You could go through my mother's things and find something suitable to wear. She also has brushes and other toiletries that you would probably enjoy. You will not find any of those things in here."

"Are you sure that is alright? I do not want to overstep my bounds by wearing your mother's things. I could just change back into the garments that—"

"No, you will dress in the royal garments of your people." His voice is somewhat stern as he eyes the bag I was referring to disdainfully. I am sure he does not want a visual reminder of the circumstance her had just taken me away from.

"If it is your wish that I wear them then of course I will." I assure him. "I just do not want to dishonor her."

"She would not mind you wearing them in the least. Everything that is here in this lodge has been here untouched for years. Although the garments may be a bit dated I can assure you that they are of the finest cloth and of the finest quality. That is all you should be wearing, Peregrine." The way he said my name, the way it rolled off of his tongue now that it was not attached to a title, stirred up a lot of confusing feelings in me.