11. Of Snow and Daggers

I stretch out my stiff limbs feeling a tremendous weight behind me

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

I stretch out my stiff limbs feeling a tremendous weight behind me. Timber. The side of my body aches slightly from the hard rock of the cave floor beneath it. Even with the amount of furs Timber had laid down it still was not even close to the comfort that I am accustom to. That being said, having Timber's strong arm wrapped around me all night protectively felt even better than the comfort of any bed.

I stare at what is left of the fire in front of me. It is nothing but embers now and one would think I would be next to freezing without it but I am not. No, Timber radiates warmth right into my body, straight into my bones. Usually my kind does not fair well in the cold and the farther North we go the colder it will get.

I think to how the winter is slowly approaching the Mountain Realm and automatically shiver. Winged creatures stay in the South, where the Sky Realm is, where the temperatures are much warmer. A touch of anxiety runs through me at the thought of how underprepared I am. Just myself and my cloak is all I had brought.

"I can feel the tension rolling off of you in waves, Pere." Timber's voice is deep and groggy. "There is something on your mind. I can sense it." He rolls over onto his back and I roll along with him so that I can face him. Timber's arms are cocked behind his head and sleepiness is still etched in his features. "Tell me what is the matter, little bird."

"That is just it. I am a creature of the Sky Realm and we will be traveling North where it is cold. There will be snow and frigid temperatures. You know my kind does not fair there well." I prop myself up on my elbow, placing my head in my hand as I regard him seriously.

"I am aware, Pere. I have made sure Sir Rocco brings us the proper royal attire of the Mountain Realm." I cock an incredulous brow.

"You mean to tell me you have acquired us royal garments? Ones that are shiftable?"

"Yes, do you really think I would have you shifting out here in the nude?" He scoffs. "I would not be able to take another creature seeing you naked." A sly grin spreads over his lips. "I have not even seen you naked yet." Yet. I swallow the lump that has formed in my throat.

"How far North are we going?"

"Far enough that I do not think your realm will look for you. They will be at a great disadvantage in a realm that is not their own if they do." I do not agree nor do I disagree as I think to King Raven. I doubt there is any place far enough North that he will not look to find me.

"Your realm will not be at a disadvantage though. Most of the Land Realm fairs fine in the cold. They will not hesitate when they find that you are missing." He shrugs in nonchalance. "Timber you cannot be so casual about this. It is serious what we are doing. The most serious offense to the realms that anyone can commit. It is against the oldest of—" Timber is on top of me in an instant, silencing me by sealing his lips over mine.

After a moment he pulls away saying, "enough of that talk. We will be fine. We will make our way up into the Mountain Realm and I will keep you safe. That is a promise, do you understand?" I nod my head up to him. "Good." He rubs his nose against mine. "I will take care of you, Pere. I love you."