48. Not the Queen of My Heart

Alaska and I are quietly walking through the forest together

Alaska and I are quietly walking through the forest together. After Raven left I had nothing much to say as I felt the anxiety flow through me. Hopefully Raven is preparing Pere for Alaska's arrival and hopefully they hide our children far away from wherever Alaska and I are staying.

Irritation rolls through me again at Alaska for interrupting my time with my sons. Like Raven had said, she was just doing what any good queen would do. Especially since she is convinced she is pregnant.

"So," she murmurs softly, breaking our silence, "how has your time been in this realm? You look well, satisfied." That particular word has me biting the side of my cheek. Alaska has no idea how satisfying it has been.

"It has been well."

"Just well?"

"As well as discussions of negotiation go, yes. I would say well." There had been no such conversation. It had just been Pere and I mating endlessly for days.

"I have to admit I was concerned when you left so abruptly, especially after I told you I was expecting." She reaches outing grabs ahold of my hand. "And I was nervous because I know you and King Raven do not get along." Those words have me looking at her with a blank face, trying to give nothing away.

"Why would you insinuate that?"

"Well..." She pauses looking away from me. "You mated with his intended. I cannot think he is too comfortable having you in this realm." I gather she is more right than she would care to know, especially considering I spent the last few days doing just that.

"He and Pere are together now. They have mated with each other and wed, just as we have. It is nothing to worry about anymore. It is a thing of the past." Far from it actually.

"I am glad to hear it." She gives my hand a squeeze. "I suppose you are right, though. Why would he hold any ill will towards you? Queen Peregrine has given him two children. I wonder what the little creatures names are."

"Grey and Aplomado."

"Those are beautiful names. Strong names too. I wonder what we shall name our little one." She places the hand that is not in mine on her stomach. "What do you think, my king?"

"I think we will have to wait and see if the creature is a male or female. Then we can better come up with a name. Pere did not name the boys until a bit after their birth." I close my mouth, hoping I had not relinquished too much.

"That is true. You were here after she birthed them." She looks over to me and quizzically asks, "you have never told me the reason for your extended visit here during that time. You just threw yourself into working for the realm when you came home. Even when I was angry with you, you did not say anything." Because I had not known what to say at the time but I do now.

"Once we were wed I was allowed back into this realm. I wanted to pay my respects personally to the king and queen since I had not been able to attend their wedding. Having not been able to congratulate them on their pregnancy either I thought it was the most noble of things to do so as my first act as king. I wanted to make up for my previous wrongdoings, show the realm my support."