25. Of Beasts and Baths

After taking one last look at her I close the door to the bedroom

After taking one last look at her I close the door to the bedroom. It was nice to see a trace of some sort of relief and happiness in her features. The entire journey here she had just looked plain miserable.

The weather had held up and although I knew she was exhausting herself I was glad she wanted to continue on. She had pushed through for nearly three days straight on horseback with not even a single complaint. I knew it was because she was lost in her melancholic thoughts though, numb to the pain of them.

I take the stairs two at a time wanting to get the horses into some shelter and care for them. It was a long journey and once they are taken care of I can finally seek the rest I so desperately long for. Once I am out the door I grab both of them by their reins and bring them into the large barn.

At one point these stalls had been full of great horses. They have been empty for quite some time and the thought of them no longer being that way has given me a sense of happiness. I bring the princess' pure white horse into a large stall and then take my large, pitch-black, the exact opposite color of hers, into his stall. It used to be the stall my father kept his horse in.

"You are quite the magnificent beast." I said to the large animal as I took the saddle off of him. Once he's completely free of everything else he lets out a large whinny. "Yes, that is much better, is it not?" He nods his head in agreement, like he understands the words I am saying. "Let me go care for the lass and I will be back with food and water." I give his nose a few pets before grabbing the equipment as well as his saddle and reins. Then I exit his stall.

After setting everything in it's proper place I head over to the mare. She seems restless and uneasy, much like her owner. "What is it, girl?" I asked upon entering her stall. I rub her soft white snout thinking back to the other large white male horse that had been with her previously. I let out a sigh realizing just how much this horse is suited for her owner. "Missing your stallion friend, are you?"

She paces slightly from side to side but I am finally able to get her to calm down after soothing her a bit. She lets me take the gear off her and that seems to make her much more relaxed as well. I grab her food and water before saying, "I will be right back."

After I put everything in its respective place I grab the grooming kit. My father had always instilled in me the importance of taking care of your horse. It is the beast that will carry you anywhere, even head first into battle. The animal must trust you as you do it. His words have stuck with me since childhood.

I enter her stall once more and pet down her soft coat. You can tell she is a horse of the Mountain Realm as her coat has grown out thicker. I take out a brush and begin working on her. I comb out her mane and tail. I pick her hooves free of debris, gaining her trust to get me to do so.

"There, you have been taken care of top to bottom." She removes her head out of her oats and nuzzles me, to my complete surprise. "All you needed was a little love and care." I pet her a few more times before finally leaving her stall for the evening.