♡Eight♡

Maya

When I wake up, I don't expect to feel two arms wrapped around me and ahead nuzzled into my neck but I do. When I shift, I feel him sit up. His eyes are on me. I feel his fingers brush stray strands of hair off of my face. My eyes flutter open. He looks like a deer in headlights.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't know you were awake," he stutters. He looks at me.

"It's fine. What time is it?" He turns to look at the clock.

"Eleven."

"Damn it." I curse.

"What?"

"I'm late picking Hope up." Sitting up, I swing my legs over the side. "Can you take me?"

He bites his lip.

"What?"

"I want to talk to you about last night and I don't want Hope to hear it." My eyebrows furrow.

"She'll be fine. She can't understand much of it," I yawn. He grabs my hand.

"There were so many things I thought I couldn't understand as a child but did. Please don't do that to her."

"Okay, I'll call Katie and ask if she can watch her for the rest of the day." He gives me a small smile and I grab my phone. After I dial her number she picks up on the third ring.

"Maya, are you okay? I thought something happened to you." She rambles. There's no way I'm telling her what happened.

"I'm fine. I just lost track of time. Can you watch Hope for a little while longer," I ask, pulling my bottom lip between my teeth. 

"Yeah, I don't see why not."

"Thank you so much. See you soon." She hangs up. My hand is still on Shawns.

"Can we talk about what happened last night?" he asks softly. I fall back and lay my head on his shoulder.

"Do we have to?" I question even softer.

"I'd like to know what happened but we don't have to. I don't want to force you to do anything. Tell me when you're ready."  I take a deep breath.

"Drew called me into his office while I was talking to your brother. When I got in he locked the door behind him. He asked me how many of the Mendes brothers I have chasing after me. Then he pinned me to his desk and said 'I'm getting my four grand worth out of you'."

"Four grand worth? What the hell does that--" I cut him off.

"He's been giving me money for me letting him touch me," I whisper hoping he didn't hear. The tears from last night refill my eyes as all of the memories come back.

"He did what?" I can hear the anger in his voice. My head gets buried in my hands.

"And I let him." I cry. "I let him use me and try to rape me. It's my fault."

"Stop," he cuts me off. He pulls me back into his chest. I can hear his heartbeat in my ear. "None of this was your fault. He knew the situation you were in and took advantage of that. He will rot in hell. I'll promise you that."

Not wanting to respond I just let him hold me. His breathing is slow and steady. He runs his fingers through my hair and I shiver. A chuckle shakes his chest.

"What?" I ask looking up at him.

"You're precious." My eyebrows furrow. "You shivered from me playing with your hair. It was cute."

My cheeks heat up and I hide in his chest. He laughs again and his hand runs up and down my back.

"So, when's our makeup date?" he asks.

"Hmm, I don't know. Are you willing to actually go this time?" He hisses.

"Damn, you got me there. What about now?"

"Now? I'm not ready."

"Okay, go change into something casual and I'll take you out." He suggests.

"What about you?"

"Maya, I live next door to you." He reminds. I huff. "What?"

"I just want to stay here. Like this." He untangles our hands and wraps his arms around me. He leans back until we're laying down on the couch. My head is on his chest and his arms are wrapped around my waist. He holds me close. "I'm scared."

"Of what?" he asks. He runs his fingers through my hair. I can feel my eyes getting heavy.

"Going back." He scoffs. Placing my hands on his chest, I lay my chin on them and look at him. "What?"

"You're not going back."

"I have to Shawn that's my job!"

"We'll find you a new job but not there or anywhere like it." I sit up. He sits up too. "I'm not letting you go back to the man who hurt you."

"He wasn't the first one though," I whisper.

"What do you mean?" he questions.

"I mean, yeah, he was the first to try to do that but he wasn't the first man to hurt me. That starts with Hopes dad. Then mine for kicking me out and then Drew."

"Can I ask you about Hope's dad?"

"Yeah, go for it."

"Where is he?" he asks.

"In jail," I reply almost immediately.

"Why?"

"He killed someone and left Hope and me to fend for ourselves," I reply. He wipes a tear from my cheek. My cheek meets his chest and my arms wrap around his torso. "Can you just hold me?"

"Yeah, I'll hold you for however long you need me too." I look up at him. He looks down at me.

"And please don't add to the list of men who have hurt me," my voice waivers.

"I couldn't imagine it." His lips press lightly against my forehead and it's an action that makes me feel safe and loved. It makes me feel hope again.