♡Forty-Six♡

Shawn

When you're little, you dream of a fairytale ending. You dream of having a big wedding and marrying someone you love. To have that come true today feels so unreal.

"I can't believe you're getting married before me," Mason teases. I fix my tie in the mirror.

"I can't believe she said yes," I respond in disbelief. "I get to marry the woman I love."

"Yeah, I'm happy for you." He smiles. It's a rare sight to see from him. I chuckle. "What?"

"You never smile," I respond. He shrugs and fixes the sleeves of his tux. We have about ten minutes until I go out. Both of our families are here. Aaliyah is Maya's Maid of Honor. She and Maya have been secretive about everything. It all happens today. In ten minutes.

"Are you ready?" Mason questions.

"Yeah," I nod, "let's go."

My hands sweat as we wait for Maya to come. It's been a day since I've seen her. My eyes scan the faces for my moms. I see her and smile. She smiles back and mouthes 'I love you.' 

"I love you too," I reply. She wipes under her eyes and it makes me want to start crying. I take a deep breath as the pianist begins playing the song Maya is walking out to. The doors open and I see her. She's looking at the ground but it doesn't even matter. Her dress has a slim fit top and the skirt puffs out some. The sleeves reach her elbows. Most of the top and sleeves are covered in lace while the lace scattered through the skirt. Her hair is lightly curled and a dainty headband has her veil attached to it. Her arm is looped through her fathers. The sight takes my breath away. Her eyes meet mine and I know I made the right choice.

Hope and my cousin walk down the aisle tossing petals onto the ground. Hope reaches me and I bend down to kiss her forehead. She walks over to Katie and sits on her lap. My eyes find Maya. She's a few steps away from me and I can see her minimal make-up. Eyeliner and mascara. She stands in front of me and I move the sheer veil out of her face. The vow master says his lines before looking to us.

"You may now state your vows," he assures. I take Maya's hands into mine.

"Maya Grace Young," I begin, "where on Earth do I start? You are the most beautiful woman I know. You only want to see the good in people. You saw the good in me when no one else did. Thanks to that, I'm marrying the woman I love." She smiles at me sweetly and sniffles fill the room. "I'm marrying the woman who saved me. I'm marrying you, my best friend."

She wipes under her eyes before speaking, "I don't know how I'm going to top that," she jokes, earning a laugh from everyone. "Shawn Peter-Raul Mendes, where on Earth do I start?" I chuckle. "You're the man my mother told me would sweep me off of my feet. You came into my life when I thought there was no such thing as a happy ending. You're the guy I want my daughter to look up to. With you, every ending is a happy ending." The vow master says a few more things before I slide the ring on her finger. She repeats the action before looking up at me.

"I now pronounce you, husband and wife, you may now kiss the bride," he says. I place my hands on her hips and pull her into me. She places her hands on my jaw and kisses me. Everyone claps. She pulls away and I hug her.

"I love you so god damn much," I whisper into her ear.

"I love you so much more," she replies. She's mine. She's officially mine.

We enter the reception venue and I kiss Maya's cheek. She squeezes my hand and we walk onto the dance floor. The soft beat of 'You Are In Love' begins playing. I place my hands on her hips and she rests hers on the back of my neck. We sway back and forth to the song.