Chapter 2 Where's Alick?

I peeled my eyes open to look out over the two beds belonging to my roommates in the dimly lit room. I rolled onto my back, rubbing my eyes before slipping out from under the covers. Hearing my cautious movements April got up next. I changed into a pair of skins, sports bra, top and jacket. I braided my hair in two as April changed a beat behind. She wordlessly sat down on the end of my bed and I braided her hair just as I had my own, only three times as long and burning with a fiery hue.

Lacing up our sneakers we left our dorm for a fogging morning in Ireland. We synced the playlists on our phones, jogging down the dirt track from the school and through the forest. I took some photos as we passed huge boulders jutting out from the earth, covered in moss and Celtic runes. Plunging down a hill we crossed a bridge before taking the path that circled back towards school. My muscles burned as we trekked up a steep hill.

Not long before we were back at school the humming of an engine diverted our attention. A car the colour of clay was revving up the front drive of the school.

April and I exchanged a look, reading each other's minds as we stuck close to the tree line to watch the car pull into the school car park. Mr. O'Sullivan got out from the driver's seat, smoothing his suit jacket.

April sighed as he ran his hand through his hair.

Then a blonde head emerged from the passenger side. "Are you listening to me?" The woman balanced a hand on her hip. 

Mr. O'Sullivan continued around to the back seat, taking out his suitcase and a couple of books.

"Riley!" She yelled in a pompous tone.

"I hear you Eleanor." He sighed as he slammed the door shut.

"Then do what I say, hey." She approached him, tugging at his sleeve like a child. "I love you." She practically forced his lips to hers while he stood their stiff, unmoving.

"Skank." April hissed from beside me.

"See you later." She got into his car and left.

Mr. O'Sullivan watched her leave before looking our way. 

I grabbed one of April's braids, pulling her behind a tree with me. She squeaked in response. I waited until I heard the front door close before punching April in the arm.

"Why did you squeal?"

"Because you tried to rip my glorious mane from its roots, bitch." She glared.

"Bod Ceann." I threw back.

"Don't try and insult me in languages I don't understand."

"You know what I said."

"Of course I do, I just wanted to say I didn't. It makes my anger more liable."

"Can we please go inside now, I can't be late again."

April rolled her eyes before we both headed back inside. Entering our dorm room we found Charlotte still snoozing away. April and I decided to tickle her like crazy.

"No, no stop!" She laughed as she kicked us. "You wankers!" 

We stopped, giving Charlotte some space as we changed into our uniforms. I headed to Photography Club first. Taking my seat up the back, waiting expectantly for my photography buddy. Five minutes turned to ten minutes as Miss Kelly called out the roll.

"Has anyone seen Alick?" She asked.

I looked out the windows in search of him. It wasn't like Alick to skip class. Nervousness bubbled away in my chest as a million possibilities bombarded my mind. What if he was sick? Or sustained a life threatening injury? What if Mason and his gang were harassing him right now? I just felt so uncomfortable not knowing.