Chapter 10 Snapshots

'You are so naïve it hurts.' April's voice was deep and foreboding as I stood in the middle of the woods. Sunlight was fading fast as a cold breeze tore through the woods, raising the hair along my bare skin.

'Come for the legends, stay for the fun.'

I searched for Callum, my eyes resting on a Doberman supernatural in size. The dog's eyes were black and dark smoke poured forth from its mouth, washing over me in a wave that smelt of brimstone and sulfur.

I felt a strong pair of arms encircle my waist.

'Nothing can hurt you here, I promise.' Mr. O'Sullivan breathed in my ear, right before he clamped his jaw on my neck.

I screamed.

I awoke screaming and with April and Charlotte looking down at me with both fear and sympathy.

"No nightmares?" Charlotte's voice shook.

I wiped the sweat from my brow. "I thought I felt a spider." I rolled out of bed.

"Bullshit." April called instantly.

"It's the truth." I gathered my uniform and my towel.

April huffed behind me.

"I'm taking a bath." I declared before shutting myself in the bathroom. I felt all lightheaded and drained from my nightmare. I figured a hot bath would fix things.

I sunk deep into the water. A million images flashed before my eyes while I held them shut. The Doberman, a black horse, a punctured pen lid, brown eyes, bloody fists, rolled up sleeves and a violin.

I opened my eyes before sitting up out of the water. I blinked away the images as water trickled down my face.

I felt the left side of my neck, pulling my fingers back to see them stained with blood.

The breath hitched in my throat. I wiped at my neck, my hand coming away covered with more and more blood. I leapt from the bath, rushing to the mirror only to see that there was nothing there but pasty skin. I looked at my hands and found there was nothing there either.

"What?" I touched my neck and my hands. I returned to the bath to find the water clear. I think I was going insane.

I changed into my uniform, pinning my hair half up half down before exiting the bathroom.

"I'll meet you in class." I told Charlotte and April who were lingering by the doorway. April left immediately, but Charlotte looked torn as she considered her options.

"I'll be like five minutes." I added.

She nodded regretfully before leaving.

I fished out my journal from my bedside table, quickly recording my dream and my weird encounter in the bathroom. I took my journal and books with me as I headed out, closing the door Charlotte had left open for me.

I made my way to Biology, spotting Alick and some random girl making out against the lockers like they were the only two people in the universe.

I felt a pang in my stomach at the sight and quickly hurried into Biology. My stomach hurt further at the sight of April conversing with Mr. O'Sullivan. She was leaning over his desk with a seductive smile, whispering God knows what. I was worried for a second that she was talking about me. I told myself to settle down. Why would she be talking about me? That wouldn't even make sense, and even if she was, I shouldn't care. I don't care. I don't care.